December 2, 2022
Dear LISD Families,
We are so lucky to have three writers in residence teaching creative writing for two weeks. The Writers in the Schools program is sponsored by the Seattle Arts and Lectures series and brought to us by the Lopez Island Library. All three writers are from the Seattle area and experienced in working with young authors. Magda is working with our elementary students, Corinne is working with middle school students (6th grade Humanities, 7th grade English, and 8th grade Northwest history), and Meredith is working with some of our high school students (U.S. History, Spanish III, and Heritage Spanish). December 9 will wrap up their two week residency.
Many thanks to the Lopez Island Library for making this program possible for LISD and to Kip Greenthal for providing a lovely place for all three visiting authors to stay.
The library is hosting a social gathering on Tuesday at 5:30 so families and other members of our community can meet and welcome the authors. Students, staff, and parents are invited!
All our best to you and your family,
Mary and Martha
Lunch Menu for Week Ending December 9
International Lions Annual Christmas Ship
The Islands’ Lions Clubs announce the arrival of the International Lions Annual Christmas Ship on Dec. 11 at 11:30 a.m. at the Orcas Ferry Landing and 3:15 p.m. at Odlin Park. Santa said he hopes there is no wind and high seas – his elves get seasick if it is too bad.
Students warm their hands over a virtual fire!
Next Teen Night - December 17
The Sustainable Agriculture class ventured to Midnight's Farm in the cold and (barely visible) snow to learn about composting and make compost piles this week.
Our middle school boys' basketball team finished their season this week with home games on Tuesday and Thursday.
High school basketball competition begins next week and you can cheer for our lobos on Tuesday, December 6 at 3:15 (girls) and 4:45 (boys). See you in the gym!
Congratulations are in order!
All league is a special team that specific selected players are nominated as the BEST players we have in our league.
This season for Soccer
- Malachi Cary made FIRST TEAM ALL LEAGUE!
This season for volleyball
- Jamie Armstrong made FIRST TEAM ALL LEAGUE
- Ruby Ervin-McLean made SECOND TEAM ALL LEAGUE
- Betty Burt made HONORABLE MENTION
- Lopez Lady Lobos were awarded LEAGUE SPORTSMANSHIP AWARD
New Mental Health Services for Islanders
4th and 5th Grade Capitol Trip
The 4th and 5th grade classes are raising money to visit the capitol in Olympia this March. As our fundraiser students are collecting pledges for our upcoming Reindeer Run on Dec. 9th. We are so excited for this upcoming trip. Students will be bussing down to Olympia, spending the night and attending a civic tour of the capital building the following day.
Open Positions at Lopez Island School
Work at Lopez Island School
Short-term, Long-term, part-time, full-time, daily, weekly... whatever you want, there is a position here for you!!!!!
Many of these positions qualify for Medical, Dental, Vision, & Retirement benefits, plus EAP and paid leave time (personal, sick, & vacation). Allocations are based on hourly commitment and classification.
· *NEW* Online Program Coordinator- full time position with the primary responsibility for supporting on-campus students who are taking certain classes in an online environment. Day-to-day responsibilities, when not directly serving students, may include classroom support activities and administrative assistance.
· Literacy Interventionist - multiple positions are available to fill the newly created position of Elementary Literacy Interventionist, working one-on-one or with small groups of students in grades 1, 2, and 3 to practice the fundamentals of literacy. This contract position runs for two 10-12 week sessions during the school year.
· Leave Replacement Food Services Manager - This exciting, professionally enriching, and challenging position will provide tremendous opportunities for professional growth in a food services program that has earned state, regional and national recognition. The District is looking for a Leave Replacement Food Services Manager to work from the beginning of January 2023 thru the end of the 2022-2023 school year (June 16th, 2023).
· ParaEducators - Interested in working with students individually, in small groups, and/or in general classrooms and helping assist teachers in modifying student behavior? Then Paraeducator is your dream job, and we have positions available!
· Special Needs Behavior Technician- If you have been thinking about being a Special Needs Behavior Technician for Lopez Island School District...well you are in luck!!!! We are looking for a Special Needs Behavior Technician to hire for this school year!! Behavior technicians are responsible for assisting behavior specialists and the Special Education department to implement behavior reduction and skill acquisition treatment plans. The candidate will assist students with day to day activities, monitor their behavior, record and collect data on students’ progress, and communicate with the team.
· Van Driver - Want to get out and see the island? This transportation position drives a wheelchair van (or another vehicle) to transport student(s) with special needs to and from school. This 3.5 hour per day, Monday through Friday.
· FTE Special Education Teacher- We are looking for a full-time Special Education teacher to help serve our students starting ASAP. This 7.5 hour per day, Monday through Friday.
· HI CAP - providing leadership of the Special Service Program for Highly Capable (HC) students, grades K-12, in the Lopez Island School District.
· Certificated Teachers
· Bus Drivers
You can see full postings on our website! Just go to District Info and then to HR and Employment for more details.
Middle School Girls Basketball Coach
The school is looking for a Middle School Girls Basketball coach for the 2022-2023 season. It is a 6 week season with practice daily from 3:30-5 starting the first week of January 2023. The stipend amount for this position is $1,350.
See posting attached and let me know if you are interested! Looking forward to working with you!!!
The San Juan County Health Department runs a monthly immunization clinic at the Lopez Island Family Resource Center. The next one is Thursday December 8th. They offer Flu and COVID vaccines, in addition to other routine immunizations. If you have questions or would like to make an appointment contact Nicole, the immunization lead at the health department, at 360-774-9014 or email@example.com.
Lopez Island School District
Ed Murray, Superintendent
Martha Martin, Secondary Principal
Mary Fordham, Elementary Principal
The Lopez Island School District does not discriminate in any programs or activities on the basis of sex, race, creed, religion, color, national origin, age, veteran or military status, sexual orientation, gender expression or identity, disability, or the use of a trained dog guide or service animal and provides equal access to the Boy Scouts and other designated youth groups. The following employee(s) has been designated to handle questions and complaints of alleged discrimination: Civil Rights Compliance Coordinator, Ed Murray – firstname.lastname@example.org; Title IX Coordinator, HR Specialist, Summer Hagge – email@example.com; Section 504, Mary Fordham – firstname.lastname@example.org; OR contact by phone, 360-468-2202, OR mail to 86 School Rd, Lopez Island, WA 98261.
Location: 86 School Road, Lopez Island, WA, USA