Missouri Association of Secondary School Principals
Quote for the Principal's Journey
Update From the Executive Director
As a school administrator, Labor Day was one of my favorite holidays. School was back in session. Fall activities were underway. Beginning of the year faculty meetings was in the book. Adjusting once again to supervising student events as well as PTSA meetings, board meetings, etc.,...having that extra day was timely and treasured. I’m guessing each of you may feel the same way right about now. Take a moment to celebrate the great opportunity you have each day to stir the hearts and minds of the people you serve. As Aristotle said, “Pleasure in the job, puts perfection in the work.”
South Central & Northwest Regions
Doug and I enjoyed our time this week attending South Central and Northwest regional meetings. We continue to be impressed with the quality of leadership and the high level of involvement throughout Missouri.
In This Issue
- Check out & welcome MoASSP's Newest Members (119)
- MSIP 6 Update
- Better Together & Ways STUCO Can Help Administrators
- Character Strong
- South Central & Northwest Associations 1st Meeting
- MSHSAA 101 Meeting Dates & Locations
- Fall Conference Registration
- Helpful Websites
- This Week's Video
- Top MoASSP Tweets for the Past Week
- In Case You Missed It
Whether you are aspiring, emerging, developing, or transformational, wherever you are on the “Principal’s Journey”, it really is a “matter of principal(ple).” Clark Mershon
Have you registered for the 84th Annual Fall Conference? See registration information below.
Total membership is now 897. Click on a name and connect with a colleague in your district or another part of the state by sending an email.
If you see inaccurate information, please email Katy. Thanks for helping us keep our database up to date.
MSIP 6 Update
We met with Dr. Kevin Freeman, Director, School Improvement, Office of Quality Schools for DESE this past week. He provided the following update regarding MSIP 6.
MSIP 6 has been on hold pending the appointment of state board members. DESE does not anticipate any significant action to occur until there is a full board in place. DESE does plan on updating the state board of education this fall in an effort to inform new board members and prepare for the eventual approval of the rulemaking process for MSIP 6.
DESE has taken the work from the MSIP 6 development teams (which met spring/summer 2017), presented first to the state board last fall (Sept/Oct), and reorganized the existing standards and indicators to align with DESE’s strategic plan and continuous improvement system’s overarching theory of action which calls for improved student learning for every student in every school.
From the date the state board approves the rulemaking process for MSIP 6, it will be two years before districts can be classified according to the new standards. The earliest classifications could be fall of 2020, more likely though to be sometime in 2021.
After the rulemaking process for MSIP 6 is approved, there will be a 30-day comment period for gathering public comment on the proposed standards and indicators. DESE hopes to conduct a pilot of MSIP 6 in the fall of 2019.
"Better Together" MASC & MoASSP Executive Directors Collaborate on Exciting Possibilities Ahead
How Can Student Council Help a School Administrator?
Executive Directors for MASC and MoASSP met this past week to explore ways both associations can continue to support each other. As a reminder, NASSP sponsors the National Student Council Association.
The Missouri Association of Student Councils will be sponsoring two Character Strong workshops this year. Schools are encouraged to bring teams of 3-6 people. Here are a few details:
- Dates in MO this year - Mehlville HS - October 29 and KC area - January 23
- Time - 8:30 - 3:00
- Price - $279 per person if registered by Oct 9 (use code KINDNESS), $349 after that date
For more information, contact Terri Johnson, MASC Executive Director, at 816-261-7079 or click on the link and image below.
Northwest MoASSP President, Beery Johnson, Benton High School Principal, presides over meeting with about 75 principals in attendance.
MoASSP Board Member: Robert Bowers, Principal at Lathrop High School provides MoASSP update to his NE colleagues.
Dr. Kerwin Urhahn, MSHSAA Executive Director, Kicks Off 2018 MSHSAA 101 Principal & AD Meetings at MWSU
SPECIAL NOTICE TO ATHLETIC DIRECTORS & PRINCIPALS
As a requirement in MSHSAA by-law 1.2, enforcement of constitution and by-laws, athletic directors and principals are required to attend. For a complete list of meeting dates and locations, click here. Make plans to attend one of the 2018 MSHSAA 101 meetings near you.
Mark Your Calendar for the 84th Annual MoASSP/MCCTA Fall Conference "Leading A Healthy Climate in OUR Schools!"
Sunday, Sep. 30th, 5pm to Tuesday, Oct. 2nd, 11am
Holiday Inn Executive Center - Columbia 2200 Interstate 70 Dr SW, Columbia, MO 65203
SAVE THE DATE: National Principals Conference July 18-20, 2019 in Boston, MA
Missouri was well represented with 97 attending the National Principals Conference last month in Chicago. Save the date now to attend next years conference. If you are interested in attending or presenting, click here to begin receiving updates.
MoASSP Board of Directors
- NASSP Coordinator for Missouri: John Faulkenberry, Lee's Summit HS
- MoASSP President: Ed Gettemeier, Hardin MS
- MoASSP President-Elect: Marc Spunaugle, Lincoln HS
- MoASSP Past President: Chris Hoehne, Ste. Genevieve HS
- MoASSP Treasurer: Kathryn Greer, Francis Howell North HS
- At-Large Non-Public: Valerie Todd, St. Mary's HS
- At-Large Assistant Principal: Jennifer Strauser, Eureka HS
- At-Large Middle Level: Jonathan Apostol, Monett MS
- Kansas City (GKCMPA): Jeff Meisenheimer, Lee's Summit North HS
- Northwest: Robert Bowers, Lathrop HS
- Northeast: Scott Daly, Hallsville HS
- Southeast: Dan Hecht, Kelly-Benton HS
- Southwest: Sarah Odom, Cherokee MS
- South Central: Jim Pritchett, Rolla HS
- Central: Brandon Harding, Cole Camp HS
- St. Louis (SASSP): Andy Croley, McCluer North HS
- NASSP Board Member: Kevin Lowery, Lebanon HS
2018-2019 District Presidents
- Central Region: Jonathan Peterson, Smithton HS
- GKCMPA: Charlie Belt, Blue Springs South HS
- Northeast Region: Deborah Hill-Haag, Mexico MS
- Northwest Region: Beery Johnson, Benton HS
- SASSP: Gary Jansen, Crestview MS (Rockwood)
- South Central Region: Kelle McCallum, Washington HS
- Southeast Region: Lucas McKinnis, Bernie HS
- Southwest Region: Keith White, Buffalo HS
MoASSP/MCCTA Features "Digital Principal of the Year", Dr. Bill Ziegler, as Closing Keynote at the 84th Annual Fall Conference
Dr. Bill Ziegler is an award-winning School Leader, author, and speaker. He has been recognized as the 2016 Pennsylvania Principal of the Year and the 2015 National Association of Secondary School Principals Digital Principal Award Winner. He is the co-author of Future-Focused Leaders - Relate, Innovate, and Invigorate for Real Educational Change. Bill serves as a High School Principal and has 20 years of experience as a School Leader. Bill resides in Pennsylvania with his wife and two high school and college-aged children.
Thanks to Our Corporate Sponsors for Helping Support the Vision & Mission of MoASSP
Missouri Association of Secondary School Principals
The vision of MoASSP is to serve ALL middle level and high school administrators.
The mission of MoASSP is to improve secondary education through positive leadership and the enhancement of student performance.