Thompson Friday Forecast
January 13, 2023
From the Thompson Administration Team
Happy New Year Thompson Families!
We hope you had a wonderful break and the opportunity to connect with family and friends and to spend some quality time with one another. It was wonderful welcoming staff and students back to the 2nd semester of the 2022-23 school year. TMS took a different approach to the 1st day after a break, we looked to reconnect and reset!
Students and staff had the opportunity to reconnect through a variety of games and activities throughout the day. We also had a building wide assembly where we had the opportunity to celebrate and recognize students for 2nd quarter honor roll, sports, and clubs. In addition, our TMS cheerleaders performed their state qualifying performance for staff and students to great awe and applause. It was AMAZING!
To add a little fun to the mix, our cheerleaders and some staff participated in the “Supersonic Challenge” where dance moves were shown off to the delight of both staff and students. Lots of cheering and laughter was had by all. To end the day and the assembly, we had a staff/student relay race that was cheered on by all in attendance. While the staff may have come away with the win, the students’ enthusiasm and excitement helped us all to realize the importance of community, connecting to one another, and having fun! It truly was a day of community and a wonderful way to start off the 2nd Semester.
Thank You to the PTO
A big thank you goes out to the PTO and Thompson families for providing the staff Mad Batter Bakery and Confections coffee cake this week to start 2023! What a great surprise!
Grades are posted in the Home Access Center (HAC)
Just a reminder that second quarter grades are now posted in the Home Access Center. Please monitor your student’s 3rd quarter academic progress using HAC and contact your child’s teachers if you have any questions about school work.
Enjoy your weekend!
Attention 8th Grade Students and Families!
8th Grade registration for high school courses is fast approaching. Students will meet with their prospective high school counselors the week of January 23rd to discuss the courses that they are planning to take next year. Please click here to access the registration meeting information and forms for the high school you will be attending next year.
St. Charles East High School
- In person - Thursday, January 26th (Periods 1-5 and 7)
- Virtual Makeups - Friday, February 3rd (Periods 1-5)
St. Charles North High School and Compass Academy
- In person - Tuesday, January 24th (Periods 1-5 and 7)
- Virtual Makeups - Wednesday, January 25th (Periods 1-5)
If you have any questions regarding registration, please don’t hesitate to reach out to your prospective high school.
Eighth graders, are you looking for a high school experience that offers:
- the chance to join a small learning community?
- a choice and voice in learning activities?
- opportunities to explore career pathways?
- project-based seminars with hands-on learning?
- a flexible schedule with a later start or earlier end to the day?
If any of these criteria match your academic goals or vision for school, Compass Academy could be an excellent option for you. Compass Academy students can choose to attend either part-time or full-time at Compass, and they still have access to courses, sports, activities, and events at St. Charles East/North as well.
To learn more about Compass, please attend the Open House on January 17th from 6:30-8:00 pm. This brief information video may also provide helpful information.
If you are unable to attend the Open House but would like to attend a tour at Compass, please complete this form and someone from Compass will contact you soon.
Volunteer with the Builders Club!
TMS Health Office Donations
On occasion, students come to the Health Office and need more than an ice pack or a band-aide. While we keep a limited supply on hand, we do need to replenish these items periodically. We would appreciate your donations. Please click on this link.
Thank you, in advance, for your generosity!
Middle School Top Chef Cooking Contest
Attention all Thompson student chefs! The 14th annual Top Chef Cooking Contest is looking for 6th, 7th, and 8th grade students who love to cook and are interested in showcasing their cooking talents at the Top Chef Cooking Contest scheduled for March 4th at St. Charles East High School from 9:00 - 1:00 pm.
Entry Forms and a sample are due to Main Office (Main Office) the week of January 30 and no later than Friday, February 3, 2023.
Please click here for more information and email Ms. Mortensen with any questions. Good luck to all of the contestants!
Shop Amazon, as you normally would, but via Amazon Smile and a portion of your purchases will benefit the TMS PTO at no additional cost to you!
D303 Administration has worked with the Board of Education to establish a routine summary on the health of District 303 through a Data Dashboard. This chart, which will be updated monthly on the District website, provides an overview of nine important measurements in the categories of Academics, Operations and Belonging.
The Peer Leadership Program for Incoming St. Charles East Freshmen
Dear Parents of 8th Graders Attending East,
Peer Leadership is an extracurricular program that matches selected incoming freshmen with juniors and seniors who make the transition into high school fun and easy and mentor them throughout the year. Because this program meets during the school day, it has to be put into a student’s schedule when registering for next year’s classes. Although we would like to be able to offer this to all interested incoming freshmen, our numbers are limited by available classroom space and our budget.
In order to start the selection process, interested students should apply using this application (make a copy and fill it out.) Please email the application to Jim Reed, the Peer Leadership Coordinator (James.Reed@d303.org). Completed applications must be received no later than Tuesday, January 17, 2023. For more information about Peer Leadership, please attend Future Saints Night on January 11, 2023 from 6:30 - 8:20pm.
We hope to hear from you!
Check out the Daily Announcements and join in the fun activities happening at TMS.
TMS After School Tutoring Program
'North Stars Helping Thunder' is an after school tutoring program where St. Charles North High School Honors students help our Thunder students with their homework. This program runs from 3:45 - 4:30 pm every Tuesday and Thursday in the LRC. If you have any questions, please feel free to contact Sarah Romano (Sarah.firstname.lastname@example.org) or Diane Pollilo (Louise.email@example.com), Thompson Staff Facilitators. Please consider encouraging your child to take advantage of these resources!
After School Activity Bus
If your child will be 5-years old on or before September 1, 2023, registration for kindergarten will begin on January 30, 2023. Click for more information.
D303's commitment to educating students extends to our families. Parent University is our way of empowering parents and guardians to support their children’s academic, social and emotional needs through a series of information sessions.
Vape: What Parents Should Know
February 16, 2023 (Virtual), 6:00 - 7:00 pm
- Vape: What Parents Should Know is a one-hour informative and engaging presentation that focuses on common devices used for vaping, substances vaped such as nicotine and marijuana, and the health risks associated with vaping and the substances vaped. The presentation includes a backpack demonstration of where teens can hide their devices and examples of common devices.
- Click here to register! A recording will be available after the presentation.
Identifying and Supporting Students with Anxiety
March 1, 2023, 9:30 - 10:30 am and 6:30 - 7:30 pm
Haines Center, Community Room 140
Presenter: Allyse Rehak, MA, LCPC with Riverview Counseling Services
- As anxiety becomes more prevalent in our children, parents want to be able to support their child in managing worries. Come learn more about anxiety and how to build your child’s emotional health.
- Click here to register!
Check out the Thompson PTO website by clicking on the button above! Facebook: @ThompsonMiddleSchoolPTO
Dates to Remember
- Monday, January 16 - Martin Luther King, Jr. Holiday
- Tuesday, January 17 - Compass Academy Open House - 6:30 - 8:00 pm
- Wednesday, January 18 - Thompson Spelling Bee - 4:00 pm
- Wednesday, January 25th - Middle School Early Release Day - Students are dismissed at 2:52 pm.
- Wednesday, February 1 - PTO Meeting (Virtual) - 9:00 - 10:00 am
- Thursday February 16 - Parent University - Vape: What Parents Should Know 6:00 - 7:00 pm (Virtual)
- Monday, February 20 - Presidents Day Holiday - No School for Students
- Wednesday, February 22 - MS Early Release Day - Students are dismissed at 2:52 pm.
- Wednesday, March 1 - Parent University - Identifying and Supporting Students with Anxiety - 9:30 - 10:30 am and 6:30 - 7:30 pm
- Wednesday, March 1 - PTO Meeting (Virtual) - 9:00 - 10:00 am
- Friday, March 3 - Teacher Institute Day - No School for Students
Thompson Middle School
Mrs. Michelle Dague - Interim Principal
Ms. Lindsay Mortensen - Assistant Principal
Mrs. Danielle Moeller - Student Support Coordinator
Mr. Sam Pasholk - Student Support Coordinator