Moreau Heights Elementary
Moreau Heights is a collaborative community focused on student growth with a commitment to excellence.
PBS lesson - Responding Appropriately to Adults
Our lesson this week is focused on Responding Appropriately to Adults. There are slides for daily lessons and to remind you to include your Second Steps lessons which will be on Identifying Feelings.
Are you using Charger Cash to reinforce PBS expectations and Second Step skills?
- We want to use positive reinforcement to draw attention to what we want to see more of
- How do you make sure you are putting the focus where you want it?
- Are you remembering to use all your tools? Specific feedback? Charger Cash?
"You are a giant, yellow highlighter. Highlight behavior you want more of, and help children become aware of the many kind and helpful things they do each day."
Conscious Discipline - Natural Consequences
This video clip is EXCELLENT at helping us see strategies we can use, including empathy, for students who are struggling when things don't go their way.
We want to be clear between Consequences and Punishment. When we are trying to help children learn skills to bring about a change in behavior, consequences are most effective when students receiving the needed coaching.
Thank you for sharing empathy with our students and helping to coach them through tough situations, developing skills to being about a change in behavior.
"Children cannot develop healthy self-regulatory skills unless they see adults consistently addressing their emotions in healthy ways."
Leadership Team Meeting Info
Here are some first steps we developed last night:
1. Staff will be provided a survey to indicate what kind of PD might be of help us to support our students.
2. Dr. Tim Lewis and Daniel Rector, from Missouri - PBIS, will come to observe around the building to help us by providing their perspective of areas of need and suggestions for support. They will be able to offer short coaching sessions for us during their time in the building. (Super excited about this! I am looking forward to someone else coming in who doesn't "live here" and can provide a new view on things, as well as help us develop skills we can improve upon. I am needing this one myself!)
3. Dr. Kilgus and Dr. Ross, from MU, will work with us with our Second Steps implementation. They will help to provide us some real training (likely done during Thursday collaboration time or during PD time) for teaching lessons and help us to better support students in transferring skills beyond the lessons. This will start a little later.
4. We discussed ideas for intensive supports for students with a lack of social and/or behavioral skills. These conversations are on-going.
We are wanting to see an improved learning and working environment for everyone and we can do that TOGETHER! It is important that we be open and honest with one another, listen to new ideas, and willing to try things outside of our comfort zone as we support one another through this time of change.
If you have other suggestions or ideas, please let me know.
Character Trait for November is Politeness
Duties for the Week
Calendar of Events
Monday, November 13
*IEP for EJ (Farmer, Humphreys, OT, PT, Haugen) 3:45
*Optimist Youth Banquet for 5th grade 6:00 pm
Tuesday, November 14
*KOMU Daily Pledge taping 9:00 - 10:30 in library
*11:00 Conscious Discipline Parent mtg in library
*PTO meeting in library (third grade) 6:00
Wednesday, November 15
*Staffing for DK (Albers, James, Treat, Haugen) 9:15
*FST for KC and KC 10:00
*Staffing for NG (Connelly, Humphreys, OT, PT, Haugen, James) 1:15
*Fire Drill 2:15
*4th and 5th grade performance Dance Around the World 6:00
Thursday, November 16
*Kelly out for day
*Progress Reports go home
*Problem Solving Team 3:45
Friday, November 17
- 8:30 for grades 3-5
- 9:40 for grades k-2
Monday, November 20
*SSTs for AM and NM (Boeckman, Haugen, James/VanWie, Moeller) 11:00
*SSTs for JT and DDR (Reece, Russler, James, Haugen) 2:00
*Leadership Team mtg 3:45
Tuesday, November 21
* RZ mtg (Bray, James, Spear, Murray, Haugen, Holtmeyer, Jungmeyer) 10:30
*MH Family Time (Schedule below)
*PBS Team mtg 3:45
November 22 - 24 No School - Thanksgiving Break
2. You MUST enter grades in Parent Portal each week. Parents are tracking their child's progress using this method and expect YOU to keep them updated via the portal. Thank you for making sure this tool is effective for parents by updating by Tuesday of each week.
3. We need to make sure that students are using their iReady licenses for AT LEAST 45 minutes each week. In addition, make sure students are progressing through lessons - providing additional instruction as needed when students struggle.
Moreau Heights Culver's Night
We will have a challenge to see what class has the greatest participation in the Culver's Night. The class will win a scoop of Culver's frozen custard.
Please check out the google form below to sign up for a shift.
Kelly's Coaching Corner
Communication in Mathematics
“To know and use mathematics successfully, students need to develop the ability to receive and express mathematical ideas. When students learn to communicate mathematically, they are able to ask questions of one another, make conjectures, share ideas, clarify those ideas, suggest strategies, and explain their reasoning.”
Quote taken from http://eworkshop.on.ca/edu/core.cfm?L=1
Communication in Mathematics Learning Modules--follow this link for short video segments on structures that get kids thinking and talking about mathematics.
Remember to let me know if you need any help with GoMath online pieces. I’ve been helping many of you create online assignments for students and supporting in classrooms. Thanks for continuing to seek me out, I’m often learning right alongside you:)