Week of August 19, 2019
First Day of School
Here is a link to a short video admin filmed to welcome you back to school: https://youtu.be/fSQqYTER-OE
Our new parking lot and drop off located at the corner of Connecticut and Goodwin will open tomorrow morning for the first time. For drop offs and pick ups, please use the right lane. The left lane is for through traffic and to enter/exit the parking spots. Towards the end of the parking lot there is a right and left turn lane to turn onto Connecticut.
Students can enter campus campus through the hallway towards the end of the parking lot by Rocketship. (Pictures below). There will be a new gate put in this week in that hallway so that during the day it can remain closed/locked, but the students can get out (it will have a push bar from the inside). For right now we will continue to use the 300 wing entrance (by the music room/portables) as the other entrance and exit.
Parents may also drop off/pick up students on Washington, Maddux, and Goodwin. We will continue to utilize white curb areas on Goodwin for school buses so we don't clog the new parking lot. Please be patient as people get used to the new parking lot and traffic patterns on all sides of the school. Police and volunteers will be out assisting. Admin and staff will be out helping as well. (The first morning Mr. Camarena, one of our new Assistant Principals, will be out in front, as Mrs. Leonardo and myself have to help with schedules in the library).
Buses From Selby Lane, Fair Oaks, and Taft
I was told that those of you who have signed up for transportation have been notified about pick up and drop off times and details at Selby, Fair Oaks, and Taft.
6th Grade Potluck
A-F: Bring a salad or side dish
G-R: Bring a main dish
S-Z: Bring dessert
For more information, please contact Liz Calderon-Garcia at (650) 482-2110 or email@example.com
The Yosemite Information Night will follow in the gym from 7-8 pm.
- Peninsula Sunrise Rotary Club - Donated a box to each teacher with some supplies. (Pictures below).
- All of the parents, teachers, and Kennedy partners who bared the heat and volunteered at Maze Day. (Good job to families, as well).
- All of our 8th grade WEB Leaders. They went through two days of training on August 8 & 9, worked with our 6th graders on Tuesday, August 13, for WEB Orientation, and worked with our new 7th/8th grade students on Friday, August 16.
- Dennis McBride, who picked up the pizzas for WEB Orientation lunch. (We were super busy transiting the gym from WEB activities to Maze Day in a short period of time, so this was super helpful).
- Redwood Baptist Church whose members donated breakfast for staff on Wednesday morning.
- Lupe Flores-Robles, who picked up and setup lunch for the teachers on Thursday. Thank you, PTO!
- Roy Dorling, who helped organize and deliver breakfast and lunch for staff on behalf of PTO, and has been picking up cases of water and granola bars so we have new emergency food/water. He has been delivering them to all 42 classrooms.
- All of our staff who have been working hard this past week (and many this summer) to be ready for school.
WEB Lunch This Friday
Back To School Packet
If for some reason you never received the Kennedy back to school packet of information, I have scanned and attached them below.
PowerSchool Back To School Information Update
If you are able to donate some supplies to Kennedy, that is always helpful. We get a limited supply budget and almost half of that budget goes straight towards copier expenses. Items that are helpful:
Boxes of Tissues
Cases/packs of bottled water (we use these for dances, student activities, events. They are hard to get reimbursed, as we can’t use any District money allotted to the school to pay for these).
Reams of white paper and colored paper
Scissors (adult and student-sized)
Note Cards (3x5 and 4x6)
Announcements From The Community
After School Sports
Another friendly reminder that registration for Redwood City After School Sports is now open! Ways to register:
- Online at https://apm.activecommunities.com/rwcpark/Home (Fastest way to register!)
- Search school name and/or sport
- In person at Red Morton Community Center
- Registration forms are on our website https://teamsideline.com/sites/redwoodcity/home and at Red Morton
- Forms will also be available at “Maze Days” and with your schools sports coordinator
- ALL registration forms MUST be returned to Red Morton, please do not give them to your school's office
Attached is a flyer with a list of Fall sports. For complete information (dates/times/locations) please visit our website.
*Also, we are looking for coaches for our Volleyball, Flag Football, and Basketball teams! If you are interested, or know someone would be, please contact Mike Smith at Parks & Rec, ASAP.
Pictures For This Week
Monday, August 19: First Day of School, 8:25 am - 3:05 pm
Thursday, August 22: WEB Leader Meeting, Brunch, Room A3 (Girls Locker Room); 6th Grade Potluck, B-Quad, 6:00-7:00 pm; 6th Grade Yosemite Information Meeting, Gym, 7:00-8:00 pm
Friday, August 23: 6th Grade WEB Lunch, 12:32 pm, B-Quad
Tuesday, August 27: PTO Meeting, Library, 7:00-8:30 pm
Wednesday, August 28: 7th Grade Grand Canyon Information Meeting, Gym, 6:30-7:30 pm
Friday, August 30: Yosemite Applications Due, Office, By 3:30 pm