SOARING EAGLE NEWS
Principal Points from Mrs. Hill
Hello Cypress Woods Families,
We have had a great month of September and are now working our way in to October. Time is certainly flying by!! We want to thank all our parents for supporting Cypress Woods at our spirit night at Chick-Fil-A as that was a big success! Also, we enjoyed seeing the many parents who attended Open House earlier last month. The partnership between our families and Cypress Woods not only is strong but it is also helping to support the academic progress of our Eagles.
Cypress Woods will be hosting a fun Spooky Story Night this month for all students and families on October 29th. A flyer with more details will be coming home soon and posted on our Facebook page and school website. We hope to see a lot of smiling faces enjoying the storytelling fun hosted by our CWE Staff on that evening. In addition, this month we will be hosting our fall Scholastic Book Fair. The book fair is always a popular event for our students and families. Mrs. Fleisch will be sending out information very soon.
Our teachers have begun to schedule their yearly conferences. Thank you parents for helping to take stock in your child’s education by attending these conferences. If you have not had your conference yet, please keep in touch with your child’s teacher and have one scheduled.
Lastly, in just a couple of weeks our 4th and 5th graders will be moving into their permanent classrooms in our new 12 classroom building. We are so excited to be saying goodbye to our portables and gaining some additional parking and recess space for our Eagles. The plan is for our 4th and 5th grade classes to begin in their new classroom on Tuesday, October 15th. We will be working with our teachers to set up a time for parents to visit their child’s new classroom in the coming weeks.
As always, thanks to our parents, volunteers, and business partners that help to keep Cypress Woods the great school that we are!!
Upcoming Dates & Events
- 10/2 - Walk to School Day - Meet at Eastlake Library 7:45 AM
- 10/4 - Volunteer Cafe 9-11 AM
- 10/14 - Pro Ed Day - No School for Students
- 10/16 - SAC Meeting 3-4 PM
- 10/23 - Picture Retakes
- 10/29 - Book Fair Begins
- 10/29 - Report Cards Go Home
- 10/29 - Spooky Story Night - 5:30-7:30 PM
SAVE THE DATE!
Picture retake day will take place on Wednesday, October 23rd. If you would like to have your student’s picture retaken, your student must bring in their pictures to return the day of retakes. Also, if your student was absent or new to CWE since our last picture day, they will have their picture taken that day as well.
Notes from Our Guidance Counselor
ROTARY STUDENT FOR THE MONTH OF SEPTEMBER: JONATHAN CITRO!!
Pictured in photo left to right:
Business Sponsor Andrea Zahn, Berkshire Hathaway Real Estate, Cypress Woods Student Jonathan Citro, Teacher Sarah Karlesky, Brooker Creek student Ava Williamson, Teacher Connie Makris, East Lake Rotary President Jay Ozbun
The Homework Helpline is a free service for all PCS students. The service is available 5 to 8 p.m., Monday-Thursday. Students can get help with math, science, social studies and language arts. Students who need practice reading can also call the helpline and spend 10 minutes reading to an adult. Families can reach the Homework Helpline at 727-547-7223.
Notes from Our Media Center
Book Fair is COMING!
Preview October 28th
OPEN for Sales October 29th – Nov. 1st
All Profits Support our Library/ Media/ Technology Dept. @ Cypress Woods Elementary School
Notes from Art
The Art Department is in need of paper towel tubes, wrapping paper tubes and toilet paper tubes. Please save them and send them in with your students to bring to the Art room.
Also, if you would like to help photograph children’s artwork for Artsonia this year – please send me, Mr. Sikorski an e-mail at: firstname.lastname@example.org. If you have a specific grade level you would like to work with, please include that in your email.
Notes From Kim Shipley, Family & Community Liaison
The Fall season brings lots of fun opportunities for our volunteers to support CWE. In addition, some of the classrooms will have fall themed activities. Please remember all classroom volunteers and attendees must be registered with the district and have a background check and no siblings will be permitted. Parents will not be allowed to participate in classroom themed activities without district approval as a Level 1 or higher volunteer. If you have already registered, but haven’t reactivated, please do so as soon as possible by logging in to the volunteer system and answering the questions presented to you. If you have never registered to volunteer, please follow this link to register online: www.pcsb.org/volunteerregistration Background checks may take up to 3 weeks.
Please remember to bring your Driver’s License in when you volunteer as it will speed up the check-in process. This applies even if you have a Level 2 badge.
Thanks to Tina S., Shannon C., Andrea F., Paige M., Kelly T. and Dee M. our fabulous Level 2 Lunchtime Heroes, we’ll have somewhat regular coverage for our Family Friendly Friday Lunches this year. If you’re a Level 2 volunteer and would like to be on our list of heroes, please contact me and let me know when you’re available. Lunchtimes are from 10:25 AM until 1:10 PM any amount of time you’re available would be helpful and you may also have lunch with your student while volunteering (sorry no siblings while volunteering). Everyone, please remember these simple rules when coming to have lunch with your child:
- ONLY those designated as a Lunchtime Hero may enter the cafeteria to retrieve a student.
- You may only dine with your student, no classmates or friends
- Please remain in the designated picnic area at all times
- Please keep your student and any siblings with you at all times – no running or playing in the amphitheater or courtyard.
- Please be kind to our Lunchtime Heroes and thank them for their willingness to volunteer, after all without their help Family Friendly Friday Lunches wouldn’t be possible J
Also, our school will once again host the annual Great American Teach In on Wednesday, November 13th. Please see below for more information about the Teach In and return the attached form to sign up no later than 10/18/19.
Would you like to be a Lunch Pal (Mentor)?
Only Thirty (30) minutes a week, can make a difference in a student's life! Listen, encourage, and be a friend to a student. Schedules are flexible, Lunch Pals meet during the student’s lunch time any day of the week. There is a free workshop that the district requires in order to participate, please see the attachment and/or follow this link to see the locations and times available and hopefully you can find one that is convenient for you: https://www.pcsb.org/Page/461 We currently have about 12 students in need of a mentor, we hope you can help!
Please consider sponsoring a teacher through Adopt-a-Class! The following teachers & programs have not yet been fully adopted. A full adoption is $100, however any amount is appreciated and will be applied towards the whole amount. These funds are used in the classroom to directly benefit our students educational opportunities.
- Kindergarten: Patterson (needs $85 to be fully adopted)
- First Grade: Harlan, Lau, Robinson
- Second Grade: Woodham (needs $50 more to be fully adopted)
- Third Grade: Hodges, Leto, Kontodiakos (needs $50 more to be fully adopted), Reyes, Tubergen, Williams (needs $50 more to be fully adopted)
- Fourth Grade: McDowell (needs $75 more to be fully adopted)
- Fifth Grade: Pearson, Preston, Slater
- Media Specialist – Mrs. Fleisch (needs $50 more to be fully adopted)
- Cafeteria (Principal’s Fund) any amount.
Important Dates & Opportunities:
- Wednesday, October 2nd is National Walk to School Day – meet at the East Lake Library 7:45 AM
- Upcoming Volunteer Café Dates are Friday, October 4th and Friday, December 13th from 9 to 11 AM- Join us and help our teachers and staff with various projects such as cutting, stapling, gluing, filing, etc. while meeting other volunteers. Coffee and snacks are provided, thank you Grade Power Learning for your support. RSVP’s to email@example.com are appreciated.
- Monday, October 14th – No School for Students (Pro-Ed Day)
- Friday, October 18th is the deadline to sign up to participate in The Great American Teach In (form attached), return to attn. of Kim Shipley or email to firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wednesday, October 23rd – Fall Picture Re-Takes – we will need a couple volunteers to assist from 8:45 AM until finished (around 11/12)
- Friday, October 25th thru November 1st – Book Fair – Volunteers needed, sign up here: https://www.signupgenius.com/go/70a0d4eaaab23a3f85-bookfair
- Monday, November 11th at 9 AM - Veterans Day Celebration – Level 2 volunteers will be needed to guide our guests to the PE court and guide them off campus when it’s over, please contact me if you can help.
- Wednesday, November 13th The Great American Teach In- Do you have an interesting career, hobby or talent that you would like to share with our students? This is an all-day event designed to inspire our students. We welcome parents, grandparents, community members and business partners to share their passion during the Great American Teach In. Presentations usually take 20 – 30 minutes and can be scheduled anytime between the hours of 9 AM and 2:00 PM. Please see the attached form for more information and to sign up by October 18th! Also, I will be seeking donations of refreshments for our guests that day (usually 50+ participants) and I will also need volunteers to help with clerical things prior to the event as well as helpers during the day in order for the event go smoothly. If you are interested in helping out with anything, please let me know.
- Friday, November 15th PTA’s Eaglethon Fundraiser- Watch for more information on volunteer opportunities or email email@example.com to let them know you want to help.
Family & Community Liaison
Cypress Woods Elementary
4900 Cypress Woods Blvd
Palm Harbor, FL 34685