The Impact of Cyber Bullying.
What is cyber bullying?
Cyber Bullying- the use of electronic communication to bully a person, typically by sending messages of an intimidating or threatening nature.
What is the effect of Cyber Bullying.
- 95% of social media-using teens who have witnessed cruel behavior on social networking sites say they have seen others ignoring the mean behavior; 55% witness this frequently (PEW Internet Research Center, FOSI, Cable in the Classroom, 2011)
- 85% of parent of youth ages 13-17 report their child has a social networking account. (American Osteopathic Association, 2011)
- 1 in 6 parents know their child has been bullied via a social networking site. (American Osteopathic Association, 2011)
- More girls are cyberbullys than boys (59% girls and 41% boys).
How to prevent it.
- Educate yourself. To prevent cyberbullying from occurring you must under- stand exactly what it is.
- Protect your password.
- Keep photos “PG”
- Never open unidentified or unsolicited.
- Log out of online accounts.
- Pause before you post.
- Raise awareness.
- Setup privacy controls.