By Dayne and Preston
What is Energy Conservation?
Why do we need to conserve energy?
Ways to Save Energy Everyday
1. Take short showers. Taking short showers will cut down on how much water you use. Then we won't use as much energy to heat the water.
2. Don't leave the refrigerator door open for long periods of time. When you open the refrigerator, the cold air inside is replaced with warm air. Then when you close it the refrigerator has to get the temperature back to cold and it uses more energy.
3. Shut off lights when you are not using them. It takes energy for the lights to be on.
4. Car pool or drive less when you can. We would save fossil fuels by driving less.
5. Hang your clothes to dry. This way you will not use energy by running the dryer. Your clothes will also look better when they are hung up.
Ways to Save Energy in your Home
2. Use a low-flow shower head. It uses less water. There is less energy used to make hot water.
3. Set your thermostat down when you are leaving your house for long periods of time. It will use less energy to heat your house.
4. Install high performance windows. They will not let the heat or cold in as much as regular windows. Then you will not have to use as much energy to heat or cool your house.
5. Unplug electronics when you are not using them. They still use energy when they are connected to the outlet whether you are using it or not.
Ways to Save Energy as a Consumer
2. Don't buy clothes you won't wear. Only buy what you will wear. If you wear something one time then throw it away that is a waste of energy. If you buy less than less will be made.
3. Don't buy things that are over packaged. For example fruit snacks come in a box. Inside that box is individual packets of fruit snacks. If you just bought a big bag of fruit snacks instead of the box, then less packaging would be made and less energy is used.
4. Buy a car that has good miles per gallon or can be charged electrically. If you buy an electric car then less fossil fuels will be burned. If you get good miles per gallon you will drive longer distances and less fossil fuels will be burned.
5. Buy rechargeable batteries. Then you can charge them instead of buying new batteries. Less batteries being made means less energy being used.