The Ritenour Review
2016 - 2017 Third Grade Weekly News
Spring Like Days
I am sure you can all agree, the weather lately has been lovely and NEEDED! This is exactly what our minds and bodies needed this week. I am beyond grateful to have this weather continue into our four-day weekend! I hope you are all making the most of this beautiful weather we have been gifted.
- Reading: We are still in the middle of our book clubs and working on our character study concepts. We are nearing the end of Wonder - very bitter sweet! This year's class has connected to Wonder more than any past classes! This is a teacher's dream! Many of our classmates have made skits based on the book's characters and are making the storylines come to life!
- Writing: We focused a lot on theme in reading and how we can add those lessons/morals to our writing. The kids did a beautiful job writing about Wonder this week. Those will be in the Tuesday folders this week.
- Math: We are navigating into larger numbers in multiplication and division. We also learned about the order of operations (PEMDAS) and the kids had a lot of fun playing with different problems and following the steps of PEMDAS.
- Spelling: We are still working on homophones. This week we finished our long /i/ and /o/ sorts.
- Social Studies: We kicked off our Economics unit! We have briefly talked about goods vs services.
Language Arts: We are still looking at ISTEP prep questions for grammar and writing topics.
Math: Still in Unit 6, this is a great unit to revisit several topics touched earlier this year. We will hit geometry and subtraction methods this week.
Word Study: We will not have a sort the next TWO weeks.
Social Studies: Economics!
Thank you for all of the hard work at home!! The boxes looked amazing and we had a blast celebrating Valentine's Day in class!
- February 25th - Boone Meadow Blast - free event hosted by PTO
- February 28th: First day of ISTEP Part 1
- March 1: Second Day of ISTEP Part 1
- March 2: Last day of ISTEP Part 1
If you would like to order books for your child through scholastic's website, please click on the link above. Checks can still be sent to the classroom and I will mail the orders.