Peter the Great
Reign As Emperor
- Peter the Great was a very inquisitive young boy.
- He was interested in western culture even when he was young.
- As he grew older, he forced Russia to assimilate to their culture.
- He occasionally had to do this in a forceful and brutal manner.
- He expanded on Russia's territory.
- He secured ports on the Baltic Sea.
- He improved the Russian army.
- He ended the period of isolation.
- He modernized Russia.
- His desire for Russia to westernize caused him to impose many policies.
- For one, he coaxed men and women to interact in public.
- He took up mercantilist policies.
- Nobles had service to the state.
- He encouraged noble to westernize their clothing.
- Peter the great was 10 years old when he took the throne in 1682, and 17 when he took control of the government in 1689.
- In 1703, Peter the Great ordered the building of St. Petersburg.
- Peter the Great was able to restore multiple European ships at only sixteen years old.
- Peter the Great used to fear and brute force to enforce his policies.