- How can you perform an offbeat rhythm in Calypso style.
- Students will listen to, practice and perform an offbeat rhythm in Calypso style.
Watch the video recording below and think about the following questions:
- What instruments do you hear?
- Where do you think this music is from/how do you know?
- What purpose does the music serve?
- What might people be doing when they hear this music?
- Who listens to this music?
Top Cat Mambo
- “chipping” is a way of walking to the beat of Calypso music as people parade through the streets during Carnival in Trinidad.
- The term “chipping” refers to the sound of leather shoes as they chip at the pavement
- Listen again and attempt “chipping” to mark the beat along with the recording.