SHS Weekly Update

12/2/22

IWCS ISLE Award

In conjunction with the Isle of Wight County Schools new Strategic Plan, the division has implemented a recognition program that is open to any member of the Isle of Wight County Schools' community. Staff, teachers, students, volunteers, parents, and community members can all be nominated for a monthly IWCS ISLE award.


The award focuses on the four broad areas of the Strategic Plan: Inspire, Succeed, Lead, Empower. The first letter of each word spells ISLE. When read together, the sound you hear is “I’ll Inspire” or “I’ll Succeed”, giving everyone ownership of the key actions throughout the plan.


Here are the November recipients from SHS:

Senior News

  • Please go to Jostens.com to order your cap and gown. The price of your cap and gown will increase January 1, 2023, per Jostens.
  • December Senior Social will be on Wednesday, December 14. Please pay senior dues by December 9 to participate.

Softball Conditioning

Softball Conditioning for Pitchers and Catchers is taking place on Mondays & Wednesdays from 3:00 to 4:30 on the softball field, or in room 204 if it is raining. All other players will begin conditioning after Winter Break. A current VHSL physical, dated after May 1st, 2022, is required to participate. See Coach Jackson for more info.


Please go to bit.ly/3Er6r8z or scan the QR code to fill out the Interest form.


Chorus Holiday Concert

The SHS Chorus Holiday Concert will take place on Friday, December 9, at 7 p.m. in the SHS Auditorium. All parents, family and friends are welcome. Coffee, water and snacks will be available to purchase before the concert and during intermission. We will also have SHS Chorus t-shirts and hoodies for sale with our logo (featured here). The price for t-shirts is $20 and hoodies are priced at $40. Proceeds from concessions will be used to help fund the Chorus trip to NYC in May ‘23.


If you would like to make a tax-deductible contribution to our online fundraiser to help students pay for their NYC trip costs, then please use this link to donate. (501(c)3 status is made possible through our partnership with SEVACF. 98% of funds raised will be used to pay for students’ trip fees. The other 2% pays SEVACF for managing our project fund.)


Here are the instructions for donating:

  • Go to the website, select "Give"

  • Select "Choose a specific fund"

  • From the drop-down box, select "Smithfield High School Choral Boosters Special Project Fund"

  • Choose the amount you want to donate (any donation will help!)

  • Follow the instructions from there


Thank you in advance for your support!

Mark Your Calendars

  • Holiday Chorus Concert - 12/9 at 7 p.m.
  • Smithfield Christmas Parade - 12/10
  • Jazz Band Performance - 12/12 at 7 p.m.
  • Concert Band Performance - 12/16 at 7 p.m.

School Board Meeting Dec. 8

The School Board will hold its regular monthly meeting on December 8, 2022, beginning at 5:00pm in the Westside Elementary School Auditorium, 800 W. Main St., Smithfield, VA 23430. After calling the meeting to order, the Board will vote to move into closed session. At 6:00 pm, the Board will reconvene in open session. Isle of Wight Achievers and special presentations occur shortly after 6:00 p.m. The School Board will also hold two Public Hearings during the citizen comment period on the proposed Capital Improvement Plan and the proposed rezoning of Carrollton Elementary Students to Hardy Elementary. Go to https://www.iwcs.k12.va.us/apps/pages/schoolboardmeetings for more information on both proposals.
Big picture
Big picture

Governor's School for the Arts

Linked below is a video providing information to students interested in applying for the Governor's School for the Arts.


Applications are due no later than 12/6.

Application submission page: https://www.gsarts.org/admissions

Recognize Your Graduating Senior!

Click the link below for more information about purchasing a yearbook ad recognizing a member of the Class of 2023. The deadline is January 13.

Big picture
Big picture
Big picture