April 3, 2020
Dear Adelante Selby families,
I hope that everyone is doing well at home, taking care of themselves, and are staying healthy. The news this week and realization that classes are cancelled for the rest of the school year, although not unexpected, was upsetting for us all. Personally, like most of you, I have been overwhelmed with emotion and frustration that we will not be able to finish the school year together. I miss the day-to-day interactions with our students, staff, community, and our normal school routine. I know we will get through this together and everything will eventually be OK. We are exploring options to do a virtual 5th grade Promotion Ceremony and provide end of the year closure for all grade level classes in some fashion. I am incredibly proud and appreciative of all our teachers and staff for their professionalism, caring, and flexibility as we are all adapting to new technology and distance learning. Honestly, at times it has felt like we are building and constructing the airplane as we are flying it. We're learning a variety of new technology to connect with and teach our students. Subdirectora Leslie and I have enjoyed "popping in" on a few of the 3-5th grade Google Meets just to say "¡hola!" to students and check on how they are feeling. Our teachers are trying their best to adapt and I want to affirm and give them gratitude for all of their hard work during these unprecedented times. To that end, I want to remind you that our staff needs and deserves down time next week for Spring Break. I have asked them all to "unplug" from working or responding to district email next week and take time for themselves and families.
Hopefully, by now families have some kind of routine established at home to support your children's learning. Students should work at their own pace and take regular breaks throughout the day. TK-2 grade students should be spending about 1- 1.5 hours total on At Home Learning. This includes time spent on the At Home Learning packets, reading 20-30 minutes, and using the Clever badges to access online applications like RAZ-kids, Dreambox, and Epic! books. New grade level and school specific, customized, At Home Learning packets will be available on April 20th for our TK-2nd graders. Our 3-5th graders should be spending about 2-3 hours on At Home Learning. Primarily, this includes digital learning via Google Classroom/Google Meets, reading 30 minutes daily, and also utilizing applications like Dreambox ,RAZ-kids, Lexia or Epic! I have included below a few at home non-digital activities for writing and math you can try out next week over Spring Break if you are so inclined.
Subdirectora Leslie is holding Facebook Live Read Aloud sessions Mondays at 5:00pm on our school Facebook Page to which families can enjoy and connect. I encourage everyone to tune in as she's been getting positive comments, likes, and emojis! I want to thank Unidos for setting up this Google Doc for educational resources, also in Spanish which can be found here ,and children's stories in Spanish here. The additional At Home Math Activities Packets for TK-2 are located here. Music for Minors has set up some music classes for students by grade level on YouTube here. Finally, a big reminder that the district has set up this web page for COVID-19/Corona Virus updates as well as At Home Learning educational resources.
This week our 2nd grade families were able to get Chromebooks and WiFi Hot Spots to support digital learning at home. Technology support from the district for parents can be accessed using these links: Tech Support English Form Tech Support Spanish Form At this time, the district does not plan to give out Chromebooks or Hotspots for TK, K or 1st graders. The food distribution for Free Lunch for any child 18 and younger is still going on Monday-Friday from 10:00am to 12:00pm at Henry Ford, Garfield, and Hoover and Roosevelt Schools. Cesar is still coordinating the Second Harvest Food Distributions and the next one is Thursday, April 9th at the Adelante Selby front parking lot from 3:30pm-5:00pm. The Fair Oaks Community Center has also set up a hotline of support for food, rent, or other basic needs at (650) 780-7500.
As we finish our third week of At Home Learning and working from home, and with the realization it will continue this way now through June, I recognize that this situation is very overwhelming. Cristina Prado, our school Psychologist, has provided parent resources that can be found here that includes information for coping with stress and anxiety, and communicating about COVID-19/Coronavirus with our children. Therapist Dr. Dina, from our community partner Acknowledge Alliance, is available for individual counseling sessions and check in for all current students in counseling. She will be in contact with parents and caregivers to ask if counseling is something your children could benefit from during this time. If you are interested in counseling for your children and they are not currently in counseling, please email her at email@example.com and she can help you find agencies in your community that offer telehealth for children.
As you may know, the process for naming our school was interrupted due to the COVID-19/Coronavirus situation. At the Redwood City School Board meeting on Wednesday, March 11th, Superintendent Baker presented Adelante Selby Spanish Immersion School as the final name choice for our school of the three choices given to him by the School Naming Committee(Adelante Spanish Immersion, Adelante Selby Spanish Immersion, and Unidos Spanish Immersion). The School Board will hold a virtual meeting on Wednesday, April 22 at 7:00pm to finalize the school name.
Finally, please note that the school playgrounds(including play structures and swings) and field are closed. The general public should not be on the school campus.
Writing Activities to try over Spring Break
- Pick a room (bedroom, living room, kitchen, family room, even bathroom!) and describe your dream version of it. What would it look like? What would it have in it?
- Write a conversation between two people in your home, or two imaginary people, where one person is surprised by something in the conversation.
- Write about an act of kindness you did for someone or someone did for you.
- Describe your favorite meal
- Write about a chore you did to help your parents.
- Write a journal entry about how you're feeling and what your day was like.
- Write down your dreams
Math Activities to try over Spring Break
- Make a map of a room in your apartment or home
- Build towers and measure them
- Cook a recipe with your child like banana pancakes. Remember to emphasize the measurements, e.g., teaspoon of sugar, cup of flour, and counting, e.g.,10 slices of banana, and time using the clock to fry the pancakes(and time to eat them!).
- Give your child a pre-determined weight or measurement and challenge them to find objects in the home that are that length/measurement and then check their accuracy.
- Play the Yes/No game. 2 Players. Use slips of paper or index cards and draw simple shapes or write numbers on them. Each player takes a card from the pile (face down) and holds it over their head. The object is to guess what's on your card, using only Yes or No questions (e.g., Am I greater than 10? Am I less than 15?). Keep asking questions until you get the correct answer.
- Play 24. Write down four numbers under 10, and try to make them add up to 24 using any mathematical operations (addition, subtraction, multiplication, division.) Write down all the solutions you come up with.
Students At Home Learning!
Google Virtual Hangouts Meet: our "new normal" way to communicate
Adelante Selby Staff: We Love and Miss Our Students!
- 4/6-4/10 Spring Break: Teachers/Staff will not be working or responding to work email.
- 4/6 Subdirectora Leslie Read aloud on Adelante Selby Facebook Page. at 5:00pm
- 4/9 Food Distribution at Adelante Selby 3:30-5:30 drive through only
- 4/14 Virtual Unidos meeting, 6:00pm
- 4/20 K-2 At Home Learning Packets pick up at school front lot: 9:00-4:00pm
- 4/22 Virtual School Site Council Meeting, 2:00pm
- 4/22 Virtual School Board Meeting at 7:00pm
- 4/23 Food Distribution at Adelante Selby 3:30-5:30 drive through only