Miss Roberts * Stoy School * May 9, 2016
This week, we’ll find out how one act of kindness leads to another in the folktale, Half-Chicken. We will also learn about acts of kindness in the traditional tale, The Lion and the Mouse. These selections will be a springboard for discussing the question, “How can one event in a story be the cause of another?”
Target Vocabulary: tumbling, flung, tangled, empty, peacefully, stream, blazed, swift
Phonics Skills: Prefixes re-, un-, over-, pre-, mis-, and silent consonants
Vocabulary Strategy: Antonyms
Comprehension Skill: Cause and effect – tell how one event makes another happen
Comprehension Strategy: Visualize – picture what is happening as you read
Kate DiCamillo has quickly become one of 2R's favorite authors. After finishing The Miraculous Journey of Edward Tulane, the students were eager to read another one of her stories. Beginning Monday, we will dive into her book The Tale of Despereaux. Everyone is excited!
During Writer's Workshop this week, the students will continue to choose their text and visual features, decide on their page layout, and write their final drafts. As students begin to finish, they will work with Third Graders to create a digital presentation of their report.
The students will also focus on two skills; Reading a Map Grid and Diagram. Diagrams help a reader find out how things work or how things are made. The picture and its labels explain each part of the diagram. Finally, they will "visit" Mount Rushmore. The will take a virtual tour of this amazing American memorial in South Dakota that honors George Washington, Thomas Jefferson, Theodore Roosevelt, Abraham Lincoln.
At the end of the week, the class will complete a Unit 5 review to help prepare for next week's test.
- Solve subtraction problems involving multiples of 10
- Solve a subtraction problem using base-10 blocks
- Use expanded form to help the subtract
- Practice solving problems using expand-and-trade subtraction
- Compare various subtraction strategies
- Vocabulary *expand-and-trade subtraction
- Solve problems involving money
- Calculate the total value of a set of coins
- Review values of coins
- Practice using dollars-and-cents notation
- Find two ways of paying for grocery items
- Thank you for thinking of me during Teacher Appreciation Week. The students' cards and gift were beautiful.
- May 10th - Walk for Wishes 2:00-3:00
- May 12th - W.E.B Project Presentations
- May 12th - Walking Field Trip to Edison School; Pen Pal Lunch and Doc Rock Assembly
- May 13th - Half Day - Teacher In-Service
- May 26th - Student Council Patriotic Spirit Day and Pretzel Sale