Being a Successful Interior Designer
To be a great interior designer, you must have an eye for material, creativity, and the ability to create a vision to result in a well designed room. Also, you need to be a good team player as well as have good communication skills and problem solving skills to have a swift and efficient process.
ON THE JOB
- Determine exactly what the client wants to achieve in the space
- Consider needed space and traffic patterns
- Sketch design plans and create a project timeline
- Place orders for materials and oversee the project budget and installations
- Review the final product to ensure that it meets the requirements of the client
TYPES OF JOBS
- Healthcare Designer - Renovate healthcare facilities such as hospitals, residential homes, and clinics. Provide a space that is functional for doctors and staff as well as the patients.
- Green Designer - Create an environmentally friendly design
- Restaurant Designer - Design a space easy for the staff to travel in and that provides costumers with a positive dining experience.
- Kitchen Design - Create a kitchen that is functional, appealing, and meets your clients wishes.
The average salary for an interior designer is between $40,000 and $50,000. The salary often varies due to the population of the city. Highly experienced designers may make up to $80,000 per year.
- 29% of firms are looking to hire
- 12,642 design firms
- 68,067 employed interior designers
- Certification - Pass the NCIDQ(National Council for Interior Design Qualification) examination
- Education - Have a four year degree verified by the CIDA (Council for Interior Design Accreditation)
- Experience - Have two years of monitored experience
INTERIOR DESIGN ASSOCIATIONS
International Interior Design Association - Exposes you to design styles around the world and informs of the importance of design.
American Society of Interior Designers - Enhances the positive effect of design on peoples' lives