District 64 PE Newsletter
News, Updates, Information and Lessons! (November)
Another New Ordering Contact!!
Here is another way to incorporate learning targets and nailing the "walk and talk"...maybe on bulletin boards in the gym?
Technology Committee Update
- How to show improvements (student growth)
- Ability to change the sit and reach beyond 12”??
- Use full potential of website (graphs, reach out to parents, classroom resources, etc)
#2. APPS and Healthy Concepts with Tech:
Cross Country/Times App
Songza music apps
Countdown timer app with music on the ipad (I think the elementary uses this already?) the music stops when the timer stops, and starts again. can be used for warm ups or circuit training in the fitness center
Add pedometers, is it possible to have them web based so the kids steps are auto stored online?
Acquire accurate class lists each trimester...
Begin using flipped lessons.
Student Projects (Goal Setting Ideas)
Add wireless “hot spots” or airports outside in the fields so we can use wireless outside with the heart rate monitors on the ipads.
I know at one time Harley/Aaron made a dvd on the proper techniques of teaching and testing the fitness tests so we were all on the same page. Maybe we could do it again and download it on everyone’s iPad so they can check periodically to refresh their memory.
Portal review and Input
Digital Student Portfolios Overview
Google Drive Overview
Hapara (Student accountability)
Curriculum Committee Update
Community Outreach Committee Update
Some brainstorming ideas include:
Partner up with the Indian Princess Group & D64 to promote the 5K.
- PE teachers can encourage kids to participate and volunteer to run with a team.
- Put monthly activity calendars in the school newsletters. Either make our own or use the American Heart Association one.
- Write articles for teacher talk to promote the PE Dept.
- Have a PE member from each school on the WELLNESS COUNCIL ( at the very least, one member from elementary and one from middle school )??
Supports Michelle Obama “Let’s Move” initiative. (offers a joined effort for students,teachers and parents in the community and out)
Have a PE rep at the Healthy Living Month meetings to give input. (work with wellness)
Elementary PE teachers meet & greet students as they are walking to school. Hand our feet during Healthy Living Month.
Middle School kids “Walk Across America"
Twitter/Instagram accounts for teachers (Check Bessie and Harley’s webpage #64 and have parents follow)
Professional Development Committee Update
Opportunities to Visit other schools/Teachers on ½ of institute day. Or set time to visit schools within our district.
- Department Sharing of lessons, Units, Heart Model etc.
- Healthy Motion: Healthymotioninc@gmail.com
- Team building staff development ½ day on institute day.
- Workshop Opportunities
- Assessment Training session FG etc. T1-T2
- Pump Up Pe Illinois Public Health Institute workshop Opportunity. FREE http://iphionline.org/register_Cook_Co_PE_Trainings_1/#!lightbox/0/