October 4, 2021
Dear Avery Families,
- Tomorrow, October 5, is an early release professional development day. Students will be dismissed at noon. Please make arrangements to pick up your child at 12 noon.
- Tomorrow night, October 5, the Avery Gr. 5 parent group will meet at 6 p.m. in the cafetorium. The general PTO meeting will be at 7 p.m.
- Wednesday is the Safe Routes to School Walk/Ride to School Day. Students are encouraged to meet at the old Avery School or the parking lot at the corner of High Street and Mt. Vernon St. at 8:15 to walk to school together.
- Saturday, October 8 is the Gr. 5 Bottle and Can Drive from 10 a.m.- 12 noon.
- Monday, October 11 is Columbus Day. There is no school that day.
Thank you to all who have completed and returned the Student Contact Information Updates. This is an extremely important form to complete and return as it helps us contact you in the case of an emergency. We already have over 200 returned. Every family must return one for each child.
There continues to be an increase in positive COVID 19 cases across the district. It is very clear, however, that the pooled and follow-up testing are helping to quickly identify students and staff members who may not even be aware that they are positive for COVID 19. I again ask families to consider signing up their students for the pooled testing program. It is a very easy, minimally intrusive procedure that the students most often self-administer. Click here for the online registration form. On the DPS website there is now a link to a district COVID Updates page. You can access it by clicking on the COVID Updates icon.
Safe Routes Walk/Bike to School Day
We will be following up with a bike safety program for 4th and 5th grade students later in the week and a pedestrian safety program soon.
Information about School Lunches
Due to national shortages of food and packaging materials, labor shortage and vendor delivery delays and cancellations, our menus are subject to change based on availability. Please know that our team is working hard to provide meals every day, adjust on the fly, and provide updates about menu changes as soon as possible. We may need to make quick menu substitutions based upon what we have on hand, but we are trying our best to make comparable changes wherever possible. Thank you for your continued support and patience. Please stick with us through this challenging time!