VCR Lesson 6
By: Derby Belser
Fill in the blank
It is expected that the _____________ President attend the incoming President's inauguration, even though Founding Father John Adams dissented from this expectation when he refused to welcome Jefferson into office.
- n. a person who holds an office or position
- adj. already holding an office or position
- adj. required as a duty or obligation*
*Definition 3 is often stated as "it is incumbent on____to_____"
- cubo L. "to lie down"
- incumbo L. "to recline"
- Def. 1: occupant, holder, bearer,
- Def. 2: current, present, resting
- Def. 3: essential, required, necessary, binding
- Def. 1: candidate
- Def. 2: past, previous
- Def. 3: unnecessary, optional
6A: #7, b. the duty of
6C: #6, incumbent
6D: #2, incumbent
Determine which sentences use incumbent incorrectly.
- Though Congress has a 15% approval rate in 2012, nearly 90% of the incumbents ran for reelection.
- Daniel's incumbent dog stayed on the porch all day, raising his head only when Daniel returned from school.
- Posted on the dog park's entrance gate is a sign that reads: It is incumbent on all dog owners to have dogs vaccinated before entrance.
- The incumbent principal welcomed all her new staff members with a banquet in the school's cafeteria.
- Many people find recycling to be unnecessary and incumbent; they prefer to just throw everything away.