Message from Mission Control
* We have found a new 5th grade teacher, and her first day is today! Please welcome Stefanie Cortez to the 5th grade team. She will be taking Kelly Taylor's place as our newest 5th grade teacher. Kelly will be here through Wednesday of this week to help Stefanie transition, and then she will report to CSES on Thursday. Shirley is remaining in her same classroom but will be taking over reading. She will continue to teach Social Studies. Patty will be moving to Kelly's room to secure a window. Stefanie will move into Patty's current room, and she will be teaching science and writing. I will be creating an updated staff roster this week with the new extensions, as well as adding Jonas to the list. We are excited to have Stefanie join the Elkins family, and please make it a point to introduce yourselves as you see her!
* Shout out to Bobby and Ashley for all of their hard work organizing and running all of the TELPAS testing. There is a lot of planning and paperwork that go into all of this, and they have both been working hard to make sure we have everything inputted correctly and testing completed in time. All of that, plus Bobby organizing everything for testing, makes for very busy days!! We appreciate them so much!!
* We are looking for volunteers for the Flash Mob that we will have on the March 29th dance sponsored by Elk Junior Council! If you participate, there is a week long jeans pass in it for you!! Let Tammie know if you're willing! It's going to be a lot of fun, and we have a video to learn the dance, so we just might need one practice to go over it that week.
* Make sure to turn in your Elk of the Month forms to Lilly, so those can be hung up this week before Math/Science night.
* STAAR training is this afternoon (Monday). All staff are required to attend.
* Emily will be training 3rd-5th grade teachers this week during extended block on the online STAAR test. More and more of our students are now taking the test online, so it's important we all learn about the test and what it has to offer.
* PTA is having spirit night at Panda Express this Tuesday. Advertise on your FB pages and newsletters!
* This Thursday is Math/Science Night. Please try to attend, as we will need help for the various activities. Thanks to Courtney and Patty (and their committees) for everything they have done to help plan this event!
* After several work orders and investigation into the bells, the final verdict is.... Wait for it.... They're broken. So... the company will have to come out to replace them; it will be another week or possibly longer until they are restored.
* Please advertise Lion King and the Color Run to your parents/families! Both Vicki and Leslie/Melanie have worked extremely hard to plan these events! They are sure to both be amazing!
This year, we will be implementing our GE life principles during announcements, as well as having the opportunity for kids to respond using the white interactive papers in the hallway (formerly used for vocabulary).
Each life principle will be talked about during a 1 week period. You will be getting the schedule sent this week, and it will also be posted on the One Note staff portal. We will discuss on announcements, and students will have the opportunity to write (or draw) how they show this life principle. For example, the first one is self discipline. They can write on the paper how they show or can use self discipline. This will require thinking and application... so it brings in the higher levels. We will talk about the expectations of how this will be used on the announcements, so the students are familiar with what is acceptable.
Just as the vocabulary has been done in the past, the life principles will remain posted on the wall, so that the students can see them and refer back to them. The Elk of the Month will be chosen based on the life principles that have been discussed for the month. Each student chosen will not have to demonstrate ALL of the life principles, but one or more.
This week, our life principle is:
Resiliency: recovering or adjusting to misfortune or change
DATES TO REMEMBER
Monday, March 5th:
STAAR Training (ALL STAFF MUST ATTEND)
Tuesday, March 6th:
1st Grade Field Trip (Seaquest Aquarium)
PTA Spirit Night at Panda Express
Thursday, March 8th:
Math/Science Night 6:00 pm
Tuesday, March 20th:
6th Grade Parent Night at Middle School @ 6:00 pm
Wednesday, March 21st:
Lion King Performance @ 6:00 pm
Tuesday, March 27th:
6th grade band demo during 5th grade specials time
Wednesday, March 28th:
6th grade band demo during 5th grade specials time (Part 2)
Thursday, March 29th:
3rd Grade Field trip to Medieval Times
Kori off campus at training
Report cards sent home
Dance (4th/5th grade only) sponsored by Elk Junior Council
Friday, March 30th:
Bad Weather Day (NO SCHOOL)
Tuesday, April 3rd:
Individual Spring pictures
Thursday, April 5th:
Kori off campus at meeting
Color Run @ 6:00 pm
Friday, April 6th:
Clubs Today (follow Clubs schedule)