Rohan, Brooks, Derek, 6th period
Seven times Consul - the most anybody has ever been consul
157 BC - Jan 13, 86 BC
Background and Terms
- Came from an obscure background.
- Reformed the military so that the poor could enlist.
- Set up the legions and centurions format of the military.
- Did lots of reforming, mainly to the benefit of the poor.
- Standardized training and equipment throughout the Roman legions. Drilling and training took place all year round, even in times of peace.
- Granted citizens of the Italian allies (Etruria, Picenum etc.) full Roman citizenship if they fought for Rome and completed a period of service in the Roman army.
- Created legislation that offered retirement benefits in the form of land grants.
- 1 legion = 6000 men, of which 4800 are soldiers and the rest are noncombatants
- 1 legion = 10 cohorts
- 1 cohort = 6 centuries - led by a centurion
- 1 century = 100 men, of which 80 are soldiers and the rest are noncombatants
- 1 century = 10 contubernia - led by a decanus
- 1 contubernia = 10 men, of which 8 are soldiers and the rest are noncombtants
- an army consisted of 2-6 legions
- the first cohort had 5 double strength centuries (160 men)
- every century fought, marched, and camped together
- every contubernia slept and ate together
- every person carried his own supplies (Marius' mules)