The Principal's Message
Crossroads South Middle School
October 20th, 2017
FROM THE PRINCIPAL...
We had another great week at South! First, thank you to the PTO for supporting a presentation called "POINT OF VIEW" by Camfel Productions. This was a multi-media presentation on making good choices, being an upstander, and changing your point of view to RESPECT everyone! Next, Happy Diwali to those who celebrated on Wednesday and Thursday evenings. During our Professional Development Day on Thursday, staff engaged in wonderful learning about how to enrich our curriculum, meet the needs of all students, and celebrate and honor the unique qualities of each student. Finally, we ended our week with a "Family Friday" to talk about how bullying impacts our school community. This was a tough topic for some students to handle. However, it is critical that we keep the conversation open and serious. We appreciate your support at home, too!
- SOUTH GOES PINK!: To support Breast Cancer Awareness, please remind your child to wear PINK on Monday, October 23rd.
- GRADING & GENESIS: We are approaching the middle of the marking period and many parents have not logged into Genesis to review your child's progress. Please take a moment to check the parent portal. Should you have any questions regarding assignments or grading, please contact your child's teacher(s) directly.
- SATURDAY 10/21: The PTO will be holding the annual clothing drive on Saturday from 9am - 12pm. Donations will be collected at the back of the building by the trailer. In addition, the town's Hurricane Maria Relief Collection will also be hosted at Crossroads South on the Kingston Lane side of the building. Please see the link to the HOME News article: http://www.mycentraljersey.com/story/sports/high-school/baseball/2017/10/13/baseball-coach-leads-south-brunswick-school-community-relief-effort-puerto-rico/762531001/
- CONFERENCES: This year, we will continue to use the online system for scheduling our parent/teacher conferences, Pick-a-Time. Information about how to schedule a conference will be sent home next week and the online portal will open by November 1st. Please note that you DO NOT need to schedule a time with every teacher. Using the information in Genesis is a great way to determine the teachers who are most critical for you to speak with.
- ATTENDANCE REMINDERS: Daily attendance in school is a critical factor in the success of your child. Please do your best to minimize the number of days your child is absent from school or is taken out early for appointments. Should your child exceed the number of acceptable days absent as determined by NJ State Law, you will receive a letter from the school.
- BUS REMINDERS: Please note: Students are NOT allowed to ride any other busses, even if a parent gives permission. The transportation department does not allow this practice, as they cannot plan for additional students riding our already full busses.
- 10/21 - PTO Clothing Drive & Hurricane Maria Relief Event
- 10/23 - BOE Meeting @ North 7pm
- 10/27 - 6th Grade Social - Parent Pick-up 5pm
- 10/31 - HALLOWEEN (Community Day)
- 11/1 - Picture Day Make-ups
- 11/2 - 8th Grade Vo-Tech Trip
- 11/6 - EARLY RELEASE DAY - Parent/Teacher Conferences
- 11/7 - EARLY RELEASE DAY - Parent/Teacher Conferences
- 11/8 - EARLY RELEASE DAY - Parent/Teacher Conferences
- 11/9 - NO SCHOOL - NJEA
- 11/10 - NO SCHOOL - NJEA
- 11/13 - EARLY RELEASE DAY - Parent/Teacher Conferences
- 11/15 - PTO Meeting @ South 7pm
- 11/16 - "NIGHT UNDER THE LIGHTS" - Football Game 6pm
- 11/20 - BOE Meeting 7pm
- 11/22 - EARLY RELEASE DAY - Thanksgiving Weekend
- 11/23 - NO SCHOOL - Thanksgiving
- 11/24 - NO SCHOOL - Thanksgiving
- ACADEMIC GROWTH: We will always focus on our curriculum and instruction for the purpose of moving students forward. Staff will engage in professional learning to improve learning for all students.
- CULTURE/CLIMATE: The place and space in which we work is critical to success. Our goal is to create schools where students are excited to come to everyday! As part of the social/emotional wellness of our students, our school has engaged in the critical work of assessing our school culture and climate in terms of positive behavioral supports and anti-bullying. Our over-arching focus has been and will continue to be...RESPECT - Respect Yourself, Respect Each Other, and Respect our Environment. In addition, we will focus on the importance of attendance. Every day counts!!
VERTICAL ARTICULATION: Being in the middle is never easy. We can often feel squeezed from both sides. The goal of Vertical Articulation is to ensure the safe and methodical passage of our students throughout the three distinct levels in the district; elementary, middle, and high. Our teachers have already begun the work of aligning practice, curriculum, and expectations for this very purpose and we will continue to study the ways we can create even more smooth transitions.