January 18, 2022
Agenda for the January 20, 2022 School Board Meeting
The agenda for the January 20 School Board Meeting is posted on BoardDocs at:
https://www.boarddocs.com/vsba/arlington/Board.nsf/vpublic?open. Subject to change.
Meetings are available for viewing live on the APS website and broadcast on Comcast Cable Channel 70 and Verizon FIOS Channel 41.
A. CLOSED MEETING – IF NEEDED
B. REGULAR MEETING OPENING – 7 PM
1. Call to Order
2. Presentation of Colors: Arlington Career Center AF JROTC Cadets Corps
- Posse Scholars
- QuestBridge Scholar, Arlington Tech senior Reem Omar
C. CONSENT ITEMS:
2. Personnel Actions
3. I-1.34 Early Childhood Preschool Programs
4. I-220.127.116.11 Student Acceleration
5. I-18.104.22.168 Program Differentiation
1. Board Announcements:
- January 26, 2022 – Virtual Policy Subcommittee Meeting, 8:30 AM
- January 27, 2022 – Closed Meeting, 5:30 PM, School Board Conference Room
- January 27, 2022 – Committee of the Whole Meeting, 6:30 PM, School Board Conference Room
2. Superintendent’s Announcements and Updates
E. PUBLIC COMMENT ON AGENDA AND NON-AGENDA ITEMS:
F. MONITORING ITEMS:
1. Virtual Learning Program Update
G. ACTION ITEMS:
1. Final Fiscal Close -Out/Status and Capital Improvement Plan (CIP) Quarterly Report
2. I-7.2.6 English Learner Services
H. INFORMATION ITEMS:
1. Dual Language Immersion (DLI) Visioning Process Task Force Recommendations
2. Approval of Potential Revisions (if needed) to the 2021-22 School Year Calendar
I. NEW BUSINESS:
Public Comment at School Board Meetings
Public Comment on Agenda and Non-Agenda items will be heard at the beginning of the meeting and will be limited to 1 hour.
At each meeting, the Board will hear from a maximum of 30 speakers and each speaker will have up to 2 minutes to comment. All speakers must sign up in advance and indicate whether they want to speak in person or to call into the meeting. A lottery process will continue to be used to select speakers if more requests than available slots are received.
Additional information will be posted at https://www.apsva.us/school-board-meetings/sign-up-to-speak/
No Change to Current APS Mask Requirements – Masks Required Inside on School Grounds and on Buses
To read more please click on the link: https://www.apsva.us/post/no-change-to-current-aps-mask-requirements-masks-required-inside-on-school-grounds-and-on-buses/
Seven Seniors Earn Four-Year, Full Ride College Scholarships
Seven APS seniors earned four-year, full-ride scholarships to attend college.
Six seniors were selected to receive a four-year, full-tuition scholarship from The Posse Foundation to attend a partnering institution.
Arlington Tech at the Arlington Career Center
- Yosief Tewelde – Bucknell University
- Stephanie Daget – Case Western University
H-B Woodlawn Secondary Program
- Joel Escobar-Amurrio – University of Rochester
- Eli Kang – St. Olaf
Wakefield High School
- Sara Arango-Rojas – Sewanee: The University of the South
Washington-Liberty High School
- Lou Zouhon – University of Wisconsin-Madison
To read more click on the link https://www.apsva.us/post/seven-seniors-earn-four-year-full-ride-college-scholarships/
Survey from the Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion
The APS Office of Diversity, Equity, and Inclusion is conducting a family survey to help shape the APS Equity Profile in development. The Equity Profile is an online platform that will highlight trends in the division and school performance to more openly and effectively identify and address equity gaps among various student groups. The profile will be published online and monitored to ensure that gaps in opportunity, access, and achievement are being addressed. Your feedback is important to us. We ask students, staff, and families to complete the survey to help inform us of data that is important to you by Fri, Jan. 28.
Apply Now to be a Substitute
School Board Open Office Hours
For the 2021-2022 school year, the School Board will hold Open Office Hours twice a month on Monday evenings or, due to holidays, Tuesday mornings. Open Office Hours is a forum for Board members to listen to comments and concerns, and to discuss various topics with community members. Each Board member will share what they heard during Open Office Hours with the entire Board and the Superintendent.
Board members will meet individually with participants to ensure everyone has the same opportunity to share their opinions. To participate, individuals must sign up ahead of time using the SignUpGenius link that will be posted on the APS homepage and at https://www.apsva.us/contact-the-school-board/open-office-hours/.
Volunteering at APS
Arlington County Public Health Division COVID-19 Vaccine Clinic Scheduling
Arlington County’s Public Health Division is offering free walk ins and scheduled appointments to individuals 12 and up. View schedule at https://www.arlingtonva.us/covid-19/vaccines/registration/
Please note: Children 17 years and younger must be accompanied by a parent or legal guardian to receive their free COVID-19 vaccine.
How to Contact APS
- NEW Family Information Line (703-228-8000) – APS now has a central Family Information Line to assist families with questions concerning transportation, Virtual Learning Program, registration, Extended Day food services, technology, or general questions. This line is open on school days from 8:00 a.m. - 4:30 p.m. Transportation will take calls from 6 a.m. to 6 p.m. If you call and are sent to voicemail, leave a message and someone will respond to you within 24 hours.
- Engage with APS – firstname.lastname@example.org remains the contact for providing input on current APS initiatives.
- Contact Your School – For specific school-based issues or concerns regarding students, families are encouraged to contact their child’s school directly so the issue can be quickly resolved.
For more information on who to contact, please visit the Contact APS webpage.