Ms. DesBarres Grade One Newsletter
Important Upcoming Dates
- SCIENCE CENTERS: Our science centers began on Tuesday! All week the students participated in activities based on mixing and creating colours. A huge Thank You to those parents that volunteered to help with these centers!
- BUDDY BOOKS: Buddy Books began on Monday! Please remember that these leveled books are for your child to read to you. They must be returned daily- just like their library books.
- "Buddy Books" Bookmarks: These will be sent home in their "buddy books" on Tuesday October 13th. The purpose of these bookmarks is to provide strategies for them to use in order to decipher what the current word they are unsure of is. If they get stuck on a word they should try using their three current strategies on their bookmark, we learn more strategies as the year goes on. You can help them work through a few of these strategies before helping them out.
- Math: In math we are currently finishing up our Patterns unit and will be starting our Number sense unit next week! I thought a fun way to get the kids excited about increasing their knowledge about numbers was by introducing our new unit in the form of a "Numbers Birthday Party!" (Tuesday) During our "Numbers Birthday Party" students will engage in 3-5 centers which will have various number "birthday" activities.
1) This week we were introduced to 2 new characters who will help us remember the letters and sounds that we need for reading and spelling. Have your child tell you one thing they remember about Baby Barnaby and Farley Fox. Then have them tell you what sounds those two characters like the best, and what letter or letter combinations represent those sounds. Baby Barnaby (Bb) and Farley Fox (Ff and Ph).
2) This week we learned three new sight words. Ask your child if they remember what they are. (Is, It and In)
3) This week we also discussed and came up with as a whole class what it means to be a "good" student as well as "how we learn." After we finished our "how we learn" poster we discussed how important it is to realize that some of us learn differently and that this is okay!