Home of the Vikings- March 17, 2023
Are you following us on Facebook
Calendar of Events
Mar. 18th- Project Aware MPPS Movie at Celebration Cinema for Families 11:00-1:00 (see below)
Mar. 23rd- All School Field Trip to Celebration Cinema
Mar. 24th- No School~ Spring Break Begins
Mar. 24-Apr. 2nd~ Spring Break
Apr. 3rd- School Resumes & After School Tutoring begins again
Apr. 7th-No School~ Good Friday
Apr. 11th- PTO Meeting at 4:00
Apr. 12th- Mobile Dentist is at Vowles
Apr. 24th- Vowles Discovery Museum Night (New date) 5:30-7:00
Staff Shout Outs
Reading Month- The Adventures of a South Pole Pig (One District One Book)
One District One Book
For March is Reading Month, all of our district elementary schools are participating in One District One Book again! This year we are reading The Adventures of a South Pole Pig by Chris Kurtz. Your Vowles Viking came home with their own copy of the chapter book to keep, an informational letter, and the reading month calendar. We hope as a family that you can take time to read the assigned nightly chapters together. We understand that our students are doing more "listening" of the story than reading. Students will participate in weekly trivia, dress-up days, and take part in the home activities noted on the calendar, and have chances to win prizes. There will be guest readers throughout the week and we will post those videos to our Facebook page.
- Science Night is rescheduled to April 24th from 5:30-7:00 at the Discovery Museum.
- Family Writing Night will be rescheduled to May
One District One Book
- Still ongoing until Thurs. Mar. 23rd.
- Spring Book Fair was a success. We processed over $6200 in fair sales. PTO elected to take profits in scholastic dollars this fair. We earned nearly $3100 in scholastic dollars.
- With the help of bond money and a donation to PTO from a community member, we were able to enhance our Library . We purchased kid-friendly tables and chairs, new curtains, and "book" character decorations.
- Celebration Cinema Movie Field Trip for All students will be Mar. 23rd in the morning. PTO is paying the bus fee and left over portion of the student cost.
- Extreme Challenge- tabled until April as there were not enough people present at the meeting.
- **Teacher Appreciation Week is May 1-5th. We are looking for Vowles Parents to organize this week. PTO has a set budget to work off of. If you are interested in helping, please contact: Chrissy Ansorge at firstname.lastname@example.org
Our next Meeting is scheduled for April 11th at 4:00 p.m.
School Store Fundraiser
Our school is participating in the School Store Fundraiser. This program allows you to donate to classrooms and teachers in our building by gifting teachers gift cards that they can use through the Caring For Classrooms program. Teachers can choose from a wide range of supplies, games, or books for their classroom. School Store also allows you or your family members to shop online at various stores such as Walmart, Kohl's, and BEST Buy. A percentage of your purchase comes back to the school.
Families can supply 6 email addresses to 6 different people or family members. If they supply all 6, they will get a code to put on their envelope. Bring your envelope back to school to receive a free safari "hugger" animal.
If students complete their 6 emails, we still have "huggers" to give away.
*Gift Card and Department Store purchases continue to add to our school all year long!!!
We focused on 3 main things to make a successful bus ride:
1. Students must be stayed fully seated while on the bus.
2. Students must use quiet/low voices so the driver can focus on the roads, hear emergency sirens or use his/her walkie to talk to other students while the bus is moving.
3. Students must keep their hands and feet to themselves while on the bus.
We are hoping that families that particularly have students that ride frequently can review these expectations with their child at home.
Morning Arrival and After School Pick Up
Arrival and Pick Up~
As a reminder for your safety and the safety of your child, please use our Crosswalk when you are dropping off or picking up your child. Our circle drive is a "fluid" drive. Cars are coming and leaving. It is difficult to see a student walking in between cars. It is also NOT a good practice that we want students thinking they should walk between cars.
We appreciate your attention to this!
*When it is raining outside or too cold to be out, students will enter the building upon arrival to school.
1) Label Everything~ child's clothes (utilize the inside tags of sweatshirts, jackets, shoes, and snowpants).
2) Send an extra pair of clothes to stay in your child's locker. Put in a ziplock and label with your child's name.
*Please let us know if your child does not have any necessary winter items and we can work on getting them for you.
Safety Emergency Drills
I also encourage you to check out our district website where we have information that pertains to our district school safety. Click here to get to the website.
To Request for Transportation, use the form linked here:
Other forms linked on the Transportation website:
- Permission to Leave Along
- In City Busing Reduction
A child will always be served a lunch whether they forgot their lunch, didn't sign up that day for lunch or have not set up their online account yet.
If you have not yet filled out a Free and Reduce Form, please call our office for a hard copy to be sent home. Or, fill out a Free and Reduced form online by clicking here.
Check out the MPPS District website for information, news, events and all the links helpful for staff & families. From there, you can get to our Vowles Website and find staff information, events and the live feed from our Vowles Elementary FB page.