Wampus Cat News
Itasca ISD April 2021
April 1 JH District Track Meet @Italy and Tennis @Waco
April 2 No School/SB @Jonesboro
April 5 No School/Varsity Track Meet Running Finals @Rio Vista
April 6 STAAR 4th and 7th Writing and English I EOC
April 8 English II EOC
April 9 SB @ Hamilton/BB @Rio Vista
April 10 Tennis District @Waco
April 12 Area Track Meet @Rio Vista/ SB @Home
April 13 BB @Italy
April 16 BB @Home
April 19 Parent Night with Dennis Mitchell 6pm @Special Events Center
April 20 BB @Home
April 23 Regional Track Meet @Springtown/SB @Meridian
April 26-29 Region Tennis @TBD
April 27 BB @Frost
April 30 BB @Home
We would love your feedback as we begin preparing for the 21-22 school year.
April Staff Appreciation
April is a time when several of our important staff members are recognized! April appreciations include Librarians, Paraprofessionals and Administrative Professionals and we have some of the BEST! We are so thankful for the role these staff members play in making our school the best it can be!
National Stress Awareness Month
Did you know that April is National Stress Awareness? Several of our staff members have been reading a book called #FullyCharged which addresses the impact of stress on the brain. Neuroimaging has shown that when students are in a state of stress, information is actually blocked from entering the brain. While we understand that stress is a normal experience, there are ways we can help children develop healthy ways to cope.
1. Talk and Listen- Help your child communicate about their stress and listen as they identify their emotions, and triggers.
2. Identify self-management strategies- Help your student identify what helps him or her the most. Maybe listening to music, squeezing a stress ball, standing while working rather than sitting, etc.
3. Nap- the young brain requires 9 to 13 hours of sleep every night until the early 20's.
4. Positive Affirmation- the mind is powerful, so help students start their day in a positive frame of mind. "I won't give up today, my teacher cares about me and wants me to have success etc."
5. Just be there- children can't always put a name on their feelings, so just be there when you notice them struggling. Keep them company and spend time together if possible; take a walk, bake some cookies, watch a movie.
While we can't solve or take away every stressor our children will encounter, we can help them cope when they experience stress.
Read Across America
Free Athletic Physicals!
Thursday May 20th, 2021
Itasca ISD has partnered with Virtual Care for Families to provide virtual medical care for our students here at Itasca ISD. As a benefit Virtual Care for Families would like to provide FREE physicals for our students participating in extracurricular activities that require a physical on Thursday May 20th, 2021.
For your student to qualify for the free physical your student must be enrolled in the Virtual Care for Families program through Itasca ISD.
Due to UIL COVID guidelines during the 2020-2021 school year every student participating in Athletics will be required to have a physical for the 2021-2022 school year. This is a great opportunity to be proactive and have our student-athletes prepared for the 2021-2022 school year.
Please see the enrollment links below to enroll your student-athlete today!!
English Enrollment Link- https://urgentcarekids.formstack.com/forms/itascaisd_registration_english
Spanish Enrollment Link- https://urgentcarekids.formstack.com/forms/itascaisd_registration_espanol
Spring Assessments ( Repeat Article)
You may have seen on the news that TEA has waived school ratings for the 20-21 school year. What does that mean for student assessments? This spring (2021) students will still take STAAR (State of Texas Assessment for Academic Readiness) at grade levels 3rd through 8th and High School English 1, 2, Biology, US History and Algebra 1. *While remote learners are not required to take STAAR assessments, EOC assessments required for graduation have not been waived and are still required for graduation.
All assessments, both online and paper are required to be taken at the student's campus. We will ensure remote learners are in small, socially distanced testing groups. Please make note of the following testing dates:
April 6- 4th and 7th grade Writing, High School English I
April 8- High School English II
May 4-7- High School EOC for US History, Biology, Algebra I
May 6- 8th grade Science
May 7- 8th grade Social Studies
May 11- 3rd-8th grade Math
May 12- 3rd-8th grade Reading
May 13- 5th grade Science
- Parents have the opportunity to enroll students in Virtual Health Care. This can help students to get medical care while at school. Registration Link: https://urgentcarekids.formstack.com/forms/itascaisd_registration_english
- Please contact Nurse Rea if you have questions about the Virtual Health Care at email@example.com
- As we work to reduce our COVID exposure, please do not send students to school if someone in the home is being tested or if the student is showing symptoms of COVID-19. Students can be moved to virtual learning while waiting for results.
- Please let the campus office know if your students plan to return from virtual learning at the start of the next grading period.
One of our goals is to keep our school community informed and involved in Itasca ISD. We have several ways for you to stay connected.
- Download the Itasca ISD App from your device app store. You can get push button notifications as they are sent.
- Keep your contact information up to date in the campus office so that you receive campus/district call out information.
- Check out our website along with the family support site updated with our most current information for both remote and onsite learners. https://sites.google.com/itascaisd.net/20-21guideforfamilies/home