Tech Balanced Life
Balance isn't Something You Find - It's Something You Create
Join me each month for a new Digital Discussion...
In this issue:
- 📱 Setting Limits: Help Your Device Help You - Manage Time and Content
- 🏠 Digital Discussions: What You Can Do To Get Started at Home.
- 🌄 Unplugged: If Not Tech, Then What?
Click the orange follow button to subscribe right here 👉 or down below 👇
Watch the following videos and get started today...
In Kindergarten, for example, we talk about Pausing for People - turning off technology when they don't want to stop. In fourth grade, we chat about the difference between private and personal information, hint - liking pizza is personal information, my school name is private. In middle school, we discuss how to find credible news sources and ways to chat safely online.
They LOVE these discussions. It always surprises me how eager they are to listen and share. I often end up learning right along with them. I have come to believe that the success of these discussions stems from our mutual trust and our desire to take care of one another. They are amazing kids!
As a parent myself, I know I should also be having these types of discussions at home. It is my hope to use this space each month, highlighting some of the Key Topics I use at school so that we can use them as an entry point for our own Digital Discussions at home. We are all in this together...let's get going.
Future issues will include Common Sense Media Topics such as Media Balance & Well Being, Privacy & Security, Digital Footprint & Identity, Relationships & Communication, Cyberbullying, Digital Drama & Hate Speech, and News & Media Literacy.
For Today: Ask yourself what can you do to bridge the digital divide in your home? Finding the right entry point can lay the groundwork for future Digital Discussions. Enjoy this TEDx talk about how mom Cara Kane got her kids talking about Technology. Try her idea and ask the kids in your life about their favorite games or online activities. Even better, sit and watch them play. If they are like my kids, they will be delighted.
Meet the Teacher: Christine Lemmon
- K-8 Technology Teacher Specializing in Google, Code.org, and Common Sense Media.
- Wife to one and mom to six, ages 7-24.
- Passionate about technology, but equally passionate about helping individuals and families find an appropriate mix of content and time management to optimize their lives both online and off.
- Determined to help students and parents become not just Digital Citizens, but Digital Leaders; not just Content Consumers, but Content Creators.
- Teaching both Skill Sets and Demeanors that help students manage technology.
- Providing practical tips for management at every level; app, device, network, and server.
If you like what you've seen SHARE this newsletter with friends and family!
Click below to follow or send me an email if you would like to share this newsletter with a school or private group.
Instagram: Tech Balanced Life
Location: Lenexa, KS, USA