September 14, 2020
A Message From the Principal...
How awesome it is to have students back on campus! Today we started the hybrid schedule where students with a last name that begins A-L returned to campus for face-to-face instruction. These same students will return tomorrow followed by a day of remote learning for everyone on Wednesday. Students who have a last name that begins with M-Z will return on Thursday and Friday for face-to-face instruction. When students are not on campus for face-to-face instruction, they are responsible for completing their work online. Our amazing teachers are juggling both sets of students at once, which is no easy task. They deserve a big shout out for all of their hard work! Way to go CJHS Teachers!!
This week also marks the start of our Beginning of the Year assessments. These will be given on the following dates for Reading and Math:
- Tuesday, September 15: A-L Reading 6th - 8th
- Thursday, September 17: M-Z Reading 6th - 8th
- Tuesday, September 22: A-L Math 6th - 8th
- Friday, September 25: M-Z Math 6th - 8th
These tests serve as a diagnostic only. They will help teachers determine what, if any, gaps exist as a result of the loss of in class instruction due to Covid. There will not be live Google Meets on testing days due to the altered testing schedule. Students will still need to login to Canvas and complete assignments for each class.
Finally, please send all of your first of year forms back as soon as possible.
Thank you parents for helping your students with this transition back to school!
CJHS Volleyball vs Industrial
Monday, Sep. 14th, 4:30pm
Industrial Independent School District, TX, USA
CJHS Football vs. Edna
Thursday, Sep. 17th, 5pm
Edna Independent School District, TX, USA
The Canvas Help link can be found under the Parent/Students tab at https://cjh.columbusisd.org/.
To access classes:
1. Login to the chromebook.
Password: chs and student ID (Ex: chs12345)
2. Open Classlink and click on the Canvas icon.
3. Students should follow their class schedule and the bell schedule and attend each class period as they are happening live. Students are expected to attend class online just like they would if they were in school. Be on time!
Tutorial Bell 7:30
First Bell 7:45
First Period 7:49-8:46
Second Period 8:49-9:41
Third Period 9:44-10:37
Fourth Period 10:40-11:32
Fifth Period (A Lunch-7th 11:32-12:02) Class 12:05-1:02
Class 11:35-12:02 (B Lunch-8th 12:02-12:32) Class 12:35-1:02
Class 11:35-12:32 (C Lunch-6th 12:32-1:02)
Sixth Advisory 1:05-1:30
Seventh Period 1:33-2:25
Eighth Period 2:28-3:25
4. Students should click on the course card for the class they are ready to attend. The first thing they should do for each period is enter the Google Meet that their teacher has set up. Do this by clicking the Google Meet link. There will be no Google Meet link for the Advisory period unless they have Mrs. Brown or Mrs. Besch. Students should remember that when they join a Google Meet, the teachers and their classmates can see and hear them. Be sure the microphone is muted when entering. Students are expected to follow the CJHS Dress Code.
5. ATTEND EVERY CLASS EVERYDAY!! Attendance is being recorded. Students must login and show proof of engagement every day for every class to be marked present.
6. If a student is unable to attend class for live instruction, a recording of the Google Meet will be posted along with that day's lesson for each class period in Canvas. The student is expected to watch the video and complete the assignments for each class by 11:59 pm each day.
7. If you have any trouble, contact the teacher through email or Remind. You may also call CJHS at (979) 732-2891.
The following videos will show you how to access your classes in Canvas:
- How to Access Canvas and Find Courses: https://qrgo.page.link/HjvR5
- How to Join a Live Class with Google Meet: https://qrgo.page.link/wcd1r
- How to Access Canvas Assignments DURING a Live Google Meet: https://qrgo.page.link/zC2jN
- How to Access Assignments, etc. in Canvas: https://qrgo.page.link/Siux5
- How to Access the Syllabus, Teacher Information, Resources, etc. in Canvas: https://qrgo.page.link/j7rCF
- How to Access Google Drive and Switch to a Different Class Period in Canvas: https://qrgo.page.link/S2WmX