VAMS Panther Press Newsletter
October 18, 2019
- Friday, October 18 - End of 1st 9 Weeks
- October 21 -25 - Red Ribbon Week (more information below)
- October 21 - 25 - Bus Driver Appreciation Week - Show your bus driver some love!
- Monday, October 21 - VAISD School Board Meeting at 7:00 PM
- Thursday, October 24 - Report Cards Go Home
- Friday, October 25 - VAMS Student Night Out 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM (VAMS Students Only, more information below)
- October 28-30 - Haunted House @ VAHS - Sponsored by the VAHS Theatre Department - 6:00 PM - 9:00 PM (more information below)
- Monday, October 28 - NO SCHOOL - Staff Development Day
- Tuesday, October 29 - Grayson County Drug Awareness Presentation from 6:00 PM - 7:30 PM at Sanford Elementary
- Thursday, October 31 - Pep Rally @ 3:00 PM - Parents and community members are welcome to attend!
- Friday, November 1 - Star Card Ice Cream Treat - We will be on a pep rally schedule this day to have star card treats from 3:00-3:30.
- Monday, November 4 - Christmas Angel Applications Due (more information below)
- Saturday, November 9 - VAEF Dodgeball Tournament (more information below)
- Monday, November 11 - Veterans Day Program at 9:00 AM (more information below)
- Tuesday, November 12 - Dyslexia Parent Training Opportunity from 6:00 PM - 8:00 PM at Sanford Elementary (more information below)
Our Outstanding Students program recognizes students who go above and beyond to make our school a great place and exemplify our Be Kind Work Hard motto. Teachers choose students from each grade level who deserves recognition. The students who are chosen receive a Sonic drink of their choice, get their name on the marquee, and are recognized in the VAMS newsletter. We would like to congratulate the following students for making our school a great place to be:
6th Grade - Tilly-Ann Bond & Yulissa Navarro
7th Grade - Jacob Tran & Ella Nelson
8th Grade - Joshua Karani & Autumn Milroy
Way to go! You make us proud!
Control The Bleed Student Presentations
Christmas Angel Application
We wanted to remind you about the STOPit app. This app provides easy access for our students to be able to anonymously report bullying incidents. Having this app on their phones makes reporting practical for them. STOPit is also accessible through the middle school website, look under the Parents tab. More information and resources can be found online at stopitsolutions.com.
The video below shows you how to download the STOPit app and how to complete a report. The access code is VAMS.
Dyslexia Parent Training
A Note From Our Nurse....
Vision and hearing screenings are being conducted the month of October at Van Alstyne Middle School. As a part of Health and Safety Code Chapter 36, the Texas Department of State Health Services requires that all newly enrolled children or children in Pre-k, Kindergarten, 1st, 3rd, 5th, and 7th grade must be screened or have a professional examination for possible vision or hearing problems.
If you choose to not to have your child screened at school, please contact our school nurse, Nurse Wilson, at email@example.com. Documentation from your child’s visit to a healthcare provider must be turned into the school’s clinic as soon as possible. The documentation must verify that your child has been evaluated for potential vision or hearing problems. You may either turn the documents into the school’s front office or have them faxed to the number provided below.
We appreciate your cooperation in this matter. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact our school nurse by phone or email at firstname.lastname@example.org. For more information on the vision and hearing screening program, visit the Texas DSHS website at https://www.dshs.texas.gov/vhs/
Lorie Wilson, LVN
Community Service Hour Log
Promoting community service is a goal of VAMS! In order to promote and foster serving our community and others, students can earn a community service award at the end of the year awards assemblies to recognize students who give their time, talents, and hearts.
Find opportunities throughout the school year for your child to work on their community service hours. Make sure your child is documenting their community service time on their hour log.
VAMS Community Service Hour Logs are due on Friday, May 1st.
Click on the link below "VAMS Community Service FAQ Flyer" for more information.
Communication throughout the year
Middle School Website: Click HERE to access the VAMS webpage.
Social Media: Want to see what goes on at VAMS during the week? Want to see pictures of students doing awesome things? Want to see what learning looks like on our campus? Be sure to like us on Facebook, Van Alstyne Middle School, and follow us on Twitter at @vamiddleschool
Digital Newsletter: We email parents a digital campus newsletter every Friday. If you are not currently signed up to receive our weekly newsletter, click HERE.
Grade-level Remind Accounts: Please sign up for the appropriate Remind accounts below to help keep you informed. We also recommend having your child sign up as well. Teachers use Remind to communicate important dates and information.
Football - Thursday, October 31 @ 4:30 at Home vs. Howe
cross country district champs
CONGRATULATIONS to our Boys and Girls Cross Country Teams for claiming the title of DISTRICT CHAMPS!! Sending a shout-out to our runners who placed in the top 10:
Cat Rollins - 1st place - DISTRICT CHAMP
Lainey Brummett - 9th place
Lena Beavers - 10th place
Jude Gonzales - 4th place
Landon Williams - 5th place
Mason Powers - 6th place
Adrian Walker - 10th place
We are proud of your accomplishment!
Volunteer Approval Form
Click the button below to access the Volunteer Approval Form. We appreciate our volunteers!
This is the link to view your child's grades and attendance. Passwords were sent home with progress reports. If you need any help with this process, you may send an email request to email@example.com or call the school office.