Can you prevent Swimmers Itch?
learn how to stay away from Schistosomiasis .
It is an itchy rash that can occur after you go swimming or wading outdoors.
It may cause fever, diarrhea, anemia, and liver failure.
About 1/3 people will have swimmer's itch in their lifetime.
It is from the pathogen Helminth found in small, infested waters.
Your health-care provider may suggest prescription-strength lotions or creams to lessen your symptoms.
Spread from person to person does not occur.
How can you prevent it?
- Towel off immediately after swimming or wading in infested water to help in preventing rash development
- Swim in water away from the shore.
- Avoid swimming in areas where snails have accumulated.
- Don't encourage birds to stay near swimming areas by feeding them
- Wear rubber boots in infested waters