Miss Mitchell's 2nd Grade News
Events to Remember
Monday Day 1: P.E.
Tuesday Day 2: Computer Lab
Wednesday Day 3: Art
Thursday FIELD DAY
**Tuesday we will be having Hotdogs, buns, fruit cups, and chips in class! If your child does not like these things, they can buy or bring! Please send in a water bottle! :)
**Thursday SACK LUNCH! PLEASE SEND YOUR CHILD WITH A LUNCH AND WATER! WE WILL BE EATING OUTSIDE HOPEFULLY! It is also FIELD DAY! Send your child to school in their PURPLE CRES Shirt and tennis shoes!
Monday, May 23 Taco Scoops
Tuesday, May 24 Scrambled Eggs with French Toast (or hotdogs in the classroom)
Wednesday, May 25 Pizza Calzone
Thursday, May 26 PBJ sack lunches with fruit, veggie and milk (please BRING LUNCH TODAY)
Friday, May 27 NO SCHOOL
*Always an option
Day 1: P.E.
Day 2: Computer Lab
Day 3: Art
Day 4: Music
It has been quite a year. I am so thankful for your children everyday. They were on a rocky journey with me this year and I think we made it out alive and well.
Thank you for all of your support this year! I truly could not have done it all with out you!
Have a fantastic summer! If you need anything please e-mail me!
9-9:30 Learning Clubs
9:30-10:45 Math Workshop
11:15-12:25 Reader's Workshop (Word work)
*1:00-1:20 Wednesdays Library
1:00-2:00 Reader's Workshop
1:50 Snack (Please send in a healthy snack for your child)
2:25-3:00 Writer's Workshop
3:00-3:30 Science/Social Studies
All library items are now past due. All students with items still checked out should have got an itemized list this week. Please look for and return these items as soon as possible. If they are lost, please make payment for lost materials by Monday, May 23rd. Exact cash or checks made payable to CRES will be accepted. If you have questions, please contact Mrs. Hicks at 594-4170 or
Monday May 23rd Dance Party
Tuesday May 24th Camp Day- (Hot Dog, Bun, Ketchup, Mustard, Chips, Fruit Cup)
Wednesday May 25th- Camp Day (Golden Grahams Cereal, Marshmallows, Chocolate Chips)
Thursday, May 26th Beach Day and Firework Rods (Big Pretzel Rods, Icing, Sprinkles) Bring a Beach Towel and a SACK LUNCH! Wear Fun Beach Clothes (no swimsuits)-Also FIELD DAY, Send tennis shoes to school!
Summer Reading Plan
We will be wrapping up our year with making plans for summer learning! We will also revisit some of our favorite text!
Mrs. Coldren introduced us to Night Zoo Keeper. It is an amazing place to work on our writing! WE LOVE IT! I only have a free 14 day trial for now. Students have their own username and password. Next year we hope to have a school access code for the ENTIRE SCHOOL!! Check it out!
We're Measurement Masters
By the end of the unit Mathematicians will be able to:
Estimate and measure standard inches, feet, yards, centimeters, and meters using the standard tool.
- Describe the relationships among inch, foot, and yard. Describe the relationship between centimeter and meter.
- Estimate and measure the length of an object by selecting and using appropriate tools, such as rulers, yardsticks, meter sticks, and measuring tapes to the nearest inch, foot, yard, centimeter and meter.
- Understand that the length of an object does not change regardless of the units used. Measure the length of an object twice using length units of different lengths for the two measurements. Describe how the two measurements relate to the size of the unit chosen
- Estimate and measure volume (capacity) using cups and pints.
- Estimate and measure the mass of objects in grams and kilograms and the volume of objects in quarts, gallons, and liters. Add, subtract, multiply, or divide to solve one-step real-world problems involving masses or volumes that are given in the same units. (such as a beaker with a measurement scale, to represent the problem).
- Choose and use appropriate units and tools to estimate and measure length, weight, and temperature. Estimate and measure length to a quarter-inc, weight in pounds, and temperature in degrees Celsius and Fahrenheit.
- I will send out newsletters on Sunday evening
- I always check my email in the morning, during the day, and in the evening
- If you leave a message for me, I will return it during my prep time (12:30- 12:55) or after 4 PM
- Please send all transportation changes in writing if you can or to the office before 2:00
- If you do not get a reply e-mail from me about transportation, please call the school. I do not always get the chance to read emails right away or I could be absent