Guaranteed to get you there!
- First patent in the United States was created on February 1, 1788.
- Carried agricultural, and industrial things, along with people.
- Could go up to 5 miles an hour.
- Played a big part in how people got to the West.
- In the 1880's when trains were getting popular: they took away almost all of the steamboats' business. Soon cars and trucks were created which caused the complete demise of the steamboat.
- Could easily go against river currents unlike other boats.
- Brings supplies quicker to towns up river.
- Provides a lot of jobs.
- Cheap transportation.
- Could be raided by Native Americans.
- Boilers could blow up.
- Captains often race each other and sometimes capsize their boats.
- On the Red River they often aground their ships from the lack of water.
- Robert Fulton tested and used the first steamboat, but John Fitch created the machine.
~How Did it Impact North Dakota~
- Caused a better economy from the increased trade.
- Brought supplies quicker.
- It brought more people to the area.
- It was a cheaper way to transport goods.
~Importance to North Dakota~
- It helped out the railroad for crossing the river before the railroad bridge was built.
- Bismarck turned into a major distribution area causing an increase in population
These boats are guaranteed to get you there!
The Steamboat - History Key Assignment - February 2014