Notes from the Band Room...
CCIS/CCMS Bands Newsletter
Next Performance- Fine Arts Festival, Feb. 6th @ CCHS
- Our next performance for all 5-8 bands is Sunday, February 6th. Performance times for IS/MS students range from 2-3:30. The overall festival is from 1-4 pm.
- All Coal City ensembles perform that day at staggered times. Tentative performance times are shown below for all performing ensembles. The HS Concert Band will be performing in small ensembles near the art show set up in the cafeteria.
- I will be sending out specific details next week. Any one is welcome to attend as many performances as they wish!
Olivet Nazarene University Honor Band (select 7/8 students)- February 15th
- Music has been handed out. Percussionists will get music on Monday.
- Specific details and a permission slip will be sent home next week.
- Concert will be in the evening at 7pm @ the Larson Fine Arts Center on the campus of ONU in Bourbonnais.
- Students attending are responsible for learning most of the music on their own. We will also work on parts of it in class. If they want extra help, they can schedule that before/after school or during lunch.
Jazz Band Reminders:
- Every jazz band rehearsal is important. Please make sure you are there on time, ready to play by 7:15 am.
- If you are going to be absent from rehearsal due to illness or sports practices, please contact Mrs. Bontrager in advance by email or Remind.
Just some quick reminders:
- Home sick or excluded? Make sure your student is still practicing their instrument. 5th and 6th should check the practice assignment chart on Google Classroom. 7th/8th should be practicing their band pieces.
- Restock on supplies you need: get new reeds, oil, grease, new binder, pencils, etc. Check our website for what to purchase: https://coalcityismsbands.weebly.com/purchasing-supplies1.html
- Instruments and music go home each day to practice. We recommend at least 10-15 minutes of practice a day, 5 days a week. Students should review what we have been working on in class. Practice charts for 5th and 6th grade are on Google Classroom.
- Interested in private lessons? Private lessons are a great way to get extra help on your instrument or challenge yourself. We recommend them to everyone. King Music in Bradley, Minooka Music Studio, and Music Loft here in Coal City are great places to start. I also have a list of names of instructors you can contact. Lessons are typically once per week (schedule and rate set by the instructor).
- Keep your instrument clean- wipe down with a clean, dry cloth; wash mouthpiece with dish soap and lukewarm water (not flutes). Make sure you swab out your instrument/remove moisture after every time you play.
What We're Working on in Class
6th Grade Beginning Band- We are close to finishing the notes and rhythms of both of our pieces. Next up is increasing the tempo and playing them from start to finish!
7th/8th Grade Concert Band- We have worked out most of the notes and rhythms of our pieces. We will be focusing on tempo, articulation, style, and expression in the next couple of weeks.
Jazz Band- Jazz is doing super well with their 2 pieces. We are still working on notes and rhythms for both, and we will be auditioning for solos soon. No jazz Monday! (No school)
Fine Arts Festival
Sunday, Feb. 6th, 12pm
655 West Division Street
Coal City, IL
Olivet Nazarene University Jr. High Honor Band Concert
Tuesday, Feb. 15th, 7pm
1 University Avenue
A free concert will be put on in the evening at ONU at 7 pm. Anyone is welcome to attend the concert.