The Paw Print
Weekly Principal Newsletter ~ Week of September 27th
Thank you for your continued support of staff and school as we continue to settle into the year! As a reminder, please see our school website for teacher emails, calendars, lunch menus, etc. We are working to keep this updated so please check there for information you may be searching for. Also, there are helpful links at the bottom of this newsletter that you may find useful.
School Picture Day is coming up on September 23rd. More information will be coming home with your child soon.
Brookhaven Wellness Team
This year, PYLUSD is dedicted to supporting students and families in our district with our "Noticed, Needed & Nurtured" campaign. Along with supports with SEL (Social Emotional Learning) curriculum, the district is also providing sites with support personnel for student support at all levels, TK-12.
At the elementary level, we will have the following personnel to support our students and staff as we transition back to school this year: an Outreach Counselor, an RBT (Registered Behavior Technician), and for the first time a part-time counselor.
This past week, Brookhaven staff has been meeting these new team members and learning how they and their services will be of support to us this year. The full Brookhaven Wellness team includes: Psychologist, Lia Marentes; Psych Intern, Erica Green; Principal, Julie Lucas; Outreach Counselor, Brittney Velazquez; RBT, Christine Sewell and Counselor Ray Waites.
Your children will likely see these adults around campus at lunch, recess and in classes from time to time. They will support student social-emotional needs and we are excited about the strengths and expertise they are bringing to our school community. Your children may have mentioned seeing these fine adults around campus this past week and I am providing the picture here for you to be able to recognize them as well.
Pictured left to right:
Brittney Velazquez, Christine Sewell, Ray Waites
Attendance and Health Reminders
- If your child is sick or has symptoms of Covid, they should not attend school
- You must call the school attendance line to report all absences
- Please leave specific details of your child's symptoms and we'll notify you of their return date
- Please review the Student Symptom Tree to help guide you with questions regarding Covid symptoms and next steps
Thank you for wearing your mask each time you enter the school office or any school building. We appreciate everyone's diligence in completing the daily "Shared Responsibility" in checking for symptoms and keeping students home when they are ill. Together we'll make it through the year in keeping everyone healthy and well. Being back together in person is so wonderful!
Thank you, Bears!
Brookhaven PTA News
PTA Reflections Art Contest ~ this year's theme is I Will Change the World by... Students may submit an original work of art by October 1st in different six categories: Film Production, Dance Choreography, Literature, Music Composition, Photography, Visual Arts and Special Artist. Please see PTA.org/Reflections for more information or contact our PTA chairman, Elizabeth Reeves.
All original submissions are due by October 1st. There is a collection box in front of the office on the black cart.
- October 6th - Rest. Night @ Blue Scoop Creamery - GUEST SCOOPERS from 4-9 pm!
- October 28th - Fall Festival ... click here to see the flyer that was sent home
- October 4th-8th ~ Classes will be participating in a CANDY DRIVE for the Fall Festival
- Spirit Wear ~ don't forget to purchase your Brookhaven Spirit Wear before time runs out!
- Please click here to join our fabulous PTA! Brookhaven PTA membership is open to everyone ~ students, parents, grandparents, alumni and supporters. Your membership helps fund school assemblies, book fairs, field trip transportation, classroom supplies, library books and more!
We are very fortunate to have a dedicated, hardworking and generous PTA at Brookhaven! We have a new PTA President this year, Mrs. Traci Larson! If you are interested in being a part of our PTA and committees throughout the year, please get in touch with Traci here: firstname.lastname@example.org
- September 23rd ~ SCHOOL PICTURE DAY
- September 24th ~ PTA Family Movie Night, Hook is the movie ~ gates open at 6:30 pm, movie is playing beginning at 7 pm
- October 1st - REFLECTIONS Art Contest submissions due
- October 6th - Restaurant Night - Blue Scoop Creamery
On-Going Mitigating Measures
- Shared Responsibility Symptom Screening should be done daily prior to the arrival of school. If your child has COVID symptoms, they must stay home.
- Everyone will wear a mask indoors, regardless of vaccination status. Masks are optional outdoors.
- Handwashing stations are located around campus and hand sanitizer is located at the entrance of every classroom.
- Good hygiene habits will be taught and encouraged.
Helpful and Important Links
Online Data Confirmation ~ This MUST be updated for all students.