The Elements of 4th Grade at LJM
Volume 1, Issue 4 - December
4th Grade News
Thank you for attending parent-teacher conferences! We enjoy connecting with you to celebrate your child and how we will support continued success for your child throughout fourth grade.
Important Dates / Reminders
12/9 = Sparkle & Neon Day
12/17 = 4th Grade Parent Visitation Day
12/23 = 4th Grade Winter Festivities
12/24 - 1/1 = NO SCHOOL - Winter Break
* Practice math facts!
* Read a minimum of 20 minutes each night!
How 4th Grade is Rockin' Reading
Students will be introduced to the first non fiction reading unit of the year: Key Ideas and Details. While working with non fiction text in this unit, students will be able to:
- Determine the main idea of a text and explain how it is supported by key details.
- Summarize a non fiction text.
- Make an inference about a nonfiction text.
- Support what the text says explicitly using examples and details in the text.
- Analyze a nonfiction text.
Remember to encourage your child to continue reading on a nightly basis! Keep recording their books on the 40 Book Challenge Record Sheet!
Writing ......"Here we come Opinion Writing! "
In our next writing unit, opinion writing, students will be writing personal and persuasive essays.
At the start of our unit, students will be developing a personal essay. To help students develop their personal essay our topics of focus will be...
- How to use an essay framework to help the structure of writing.
- How to collect insightful ideas to use for inspiration when writing.
- How to write to learn; how ideas grow from our writing.
- Extending ideas by having conversations as they write to help their ideas grow.
- Taking our ideas and developing fully formed ideas and thesis statements.
- Developing different reasons to support a thesis.
- How gathering a variety of evidence to support opinions as they write helps both the
form and content of the writing piece.
In the month of November we will be focusing on multiplication in unit 4! This unit will help us multiply multiple-digit numbers, solve multiplication number stories and become more fluent with our multiplication facts. We look forward to practicing our many multiplication strategies, all of which can be referenced in our Student Reference Book. Additionally, be sure to check out the note sheets provided to help with our new multiplication algorithms! :) Please be sure to keep up with daily homework and practice multiplication facts whenever possible!