Word of the Week
ARGUMENT ( ARGUMENTO )
- a statement or series of statements for or against something
- a discussion in which people express different opinions about something
- an angry disagreement
FULL DEFINITION OF ARGUMENT
1. Obsolete : an outward sign : indication
2. a : a reason given in proof or rebuttal
b : discourse intended to persuade
b : a coherent series of statements leading from a premise to a conclusion
4. : an abstract or summary especially of a literary work (an argument preceded the poem)
5. : the subject matter especially of a literary work
6. a : one of the independent variables upon whose value that of a function depends
b : a substantive (as the direct object of a transitive verb) that is required by a predicate in grammar
EXAMPLES OF ARGUMENT
- They made a compelling argument for our participation.
- The committee presented strong arguments against building a new school.
- His argument did not convince his opponents.
- Let us accept, for the sake of argument, that she is right.
- Don't you want to hear both sides of the argument?
- They were always getting into arguments about politics.
- There were many arguments about the new design.
- They settled an argument that started in class.
- I don't want to hear any arguments about whether you'll go.