Literacy Coaching Connections
-news you can use Vol. 1 Issue 5
Websites for teachers!
Here are mobile apps via Read-Write-Think that can be downloaded and used on a mobile device. My personal favorite is the Alphabet Organizer!
Here is a link to a lesson plan created to go with the alphabet organizer at Thinkfinity.org http://www.thinkfinity.org/community/hub/blog/2013/08/06/alphabetically-organized-to-create-abc-books
Here are some Keyboarding Websites:
- Keyboarding Games for Kids
- Online Typing Games
- Funbrain (grades K-4)
- Fitbrains (grades 5-8)
Other good keyboarding sites are as follows:
- Free Typing Test & Typing Tutor - the interactive typing exercises and tests in this tutorial automatically adjust to your individual skill level
- FreeTypingGame.Net - a good site for free typing games, lessons and tests with no downloads, installations, or registration required
- Typing Web - free online typing program
- Rapid Typing Zone - includes tutorials, games, and tests
- Teachers' Typing Manual - includes typing tools and techniques, data entry topics, and much more
- TypingTest.com and Online Typing Games – Bubbles Game let you assess yourself and then play a really great game of typing letter bubbles
- Typing Training - a training module for learning to type at home, school, or work
How do you already celebrate the students' writing accomplishments? What ideas might you try?
Literacy Resources-Book Flix
This is available free from INFOhio. The elementary library technicians have been introduced to this resource in August and are beginning to use it in the LRCs.
· BookFLIX is designed for students grades PreK-3
· 100 nonfiction/classic fiction pairs are included in the resource, plus 30 additional in Spanish
· Classic fiction titles are animated with a read along feature, nonfiction is read aloud, highlighting the words
· Additional activities and resources are provided—curriculum connector, lesson plans . . .
· Smart Board friendly
· Students can access at home with INFOhio passwords (library staff have been given bookmarks with passwords to distribute. (log-on: akron ; password: proud)
To access, log on to http://infohio.org/
Resource will open up. This is a quality resource.
Just an aside---there are tons of great resources on infohio. Please take a look at the iMatrix: http://educators.infohio.org/imatrix
INFOhio has been working on their site this week----may be slower than usual!