Fifth Grade News
Issue #28 April 7th-11th
Upcoming Events for Crozet 5th Graders
- April 7th-11th- National Volunteer week. A huge THANK YOU to all of our wonderful parent volunteers! We couldn't do it without you!
- Pennies for Patients has been extended another week! Loose change welcome!
- April 10th - Jamestown/Williamsburg field trip- 6am-6pm -the cost will be $30 per person (seats for family members are limited on the bus-please advise your student's homeroom teacher if you intend on driving separately).
- April 17th - 5th Grade visits Henley - time TBA
- April 22nd - report cards go home
- May 9th - Drama club production of SchoolHouse Rock - 1:30pm and 6:30pm
- May 14th - Reading SOL
- May 29th and 30th - Math SOL
- June - 3rd - Virginia Studies SOL
- June 5th - Science SOL
*Please note that the Virginia Studies and Science SOLs dates have been moved into June.*
What to bring to Jamestown/Williamsburg:
- Bagged lunch
- Morning snack
- Afternoon snack
- Water bottles
- Money for the gift shops (optional)
- Entertainment for the ride- electronics are allowed, but students are responsible for them.
- Sunscreen if needed
We are discussing:
* Associative, Commutative, and Distributive Laws
* Least common denominator-addition and subtraction of fractions and mixed numbers
* Probability. Students are using their knowledge of fractions, decimals, and percents to figure out the probability of given situations. They are using likelihood lines and probability vocabulary like "impossible" and "unlikely" to describe how likely the outcome may be.
From the Science Lab of Mrs. Agee
Students received a study guide for animal and plant classification today and spent some time studying with a partner today during class. We'll have our test on Wednesday. If your child returns their study guide on the test day with a family signature, they'll receive 5 points of extra credit.
Please visit the Science page on our website to explore more resources at:
From the Historical Perspective of Ms. Deal
After the Civil War comes the Reconstruction Period. We will be discussing why historians describe this time in US history the "Reconstruction Period" and what Americans needed to do in order to rebuild the country. We will be learning about the Freedmen's Bureau, the Civil Rights Movement of 1865, and Jim Crow Laws.
From the Writing Desk of Mrs. Garbaccio
We are creating a Poetry Refresher study book, forming our own poetry, and brainstorming for our next project. Please reinforce the characteristics of
No set line length
No set rhythm
No rhyming pattern
Has a Rhyme Scheme (ABAB)
Has a pattern
Has a rhythm
Words formed into a picture. Check out my image above.