February 2023 Principal Newsletter by Erika A. Krohn
We had a great start to the 2023 school year! Students reviewed their iReady Benchmark #2 results and set goals for Benchmark #3. Primary and Upper grade classes who have the highest number of students who passed at least two lessons per week in Reading and Math have been announced on the loud speaker during Morning Messages each week. Additionally, I visited each classroom to announce the names of students who met the two lesson per week goal and award them with a small prize. It was great fun to celebrate the students!
Also in January, we focused on the core value of Cooperation and 4th grade led a great spirit assembly highlighting this core value. On January 24, we hosted Family STEAM Night. The turnout was absolutely amazing! Students and families enjoyed participating in Science, Technology, Engineering, Art, and Math activities with our talented teachers. Also, our 5th and 6th graders performed at the VAPA showcase.
This February, we will be focused on the core value of Kindness. Starting February 13, we will participate in the Great Kindness Challenge and have a special spirit themes each day that week. We will continue to focus on our AVID goal of incorporating more collaboration and writing to explain in Math.
Follow Handy Elementary school on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter for weekly happenings at Handy! Please scroll down to see a complete list of February events.
I encourage every Handy scholar to give their best effort each and every day because: Learning today makes a brighter tomorrow!
Erika A. Krohn, Principal
Congratulations to our Handy Employees of the Year!
Welcome Handy Community Lead: Yesica de Rosas
My name is Yesica De Rosas and I am the New Community Site Lead for Handy Elementary. I am a First-Generation Graduate with a degree in Real Estate and was born and raised in Orange County. I spent about four years volunteering at what was once Western Medical Center in Santa Ana where I became President of their Volunteer Program and organized Award Commencements for Doctors and Nurses. I also spent 8+ years working in the hospitality industry coordinating events for Ford in Irvine as well as the Marriot Hotel near Disneyland. My Last three years were spent working in the educational field where I learned to take on many roles from paraprofessional to working in the office handling Enrollments and Attendance.
At Handy we are dedicated to have our PTA involved as much as we can to be able to provide programs that will strengthen family-school partnerships. We are currently in the process of bringing back English Classes back to our Site as well as our Trolly Clementine Food Banks. My goal is to be able to offer more Afterschool programs through our Think Together Program as well as partnering up with the City that offers Uniform & School Supplies drives.
Below you can find a variety of ways to see the programs that will be offered on our campus.
- Social Media announcements Follow us on
- Facebook @ Handy Elementary School
- Twitter @handyelementary
- Instagram @handyelementary
- School Broadcast Messages
- E-mail Correspondence
- Parent Surveys
- Personal Phone Calls & Follow-Ups
- Smore Newsletter
What Parents Can Do to Help Attendance
• Set a regular bedtime and morning routine.
• Lay out clothes and pack backpacks the night before.
• Keep your child healthy and make sure your child has the required shots.
• Develop backup plans for getting to school if something comes up. Call on a family member, a neighbor or another parent.
• Try to schedule non-Covid-19 related medical appointments and extended trips when school isn't in session.
• If your child seems anxious about going to school, talk to teachers, school counselors and other parents for advice on how to make your child feel comfortable and excited about learning. • If you are concerned that your child may have Covid-19, call your school for advice.
• If your child must stay home due to illness or quarantine, ask the teacher for resources and ideas to continue learning at home.
- February 1-iReady Principal Prize Patrol
- February 2-AVID Walkthroughs by District Team
- February 3-School-wide Talking Circles: Kindness
- February 7-PTA Meeting, 8:30 A.M.
- February 7-After School Accordion Class begins (ELOP) Tuesdays and Thursdays
- February 13-16-Kindness Week/Challenge
- February 14-8:15-Spirit Assembly-Mrs. Duralde and Ms. Ballestero's classes perform
- February 15-Orange High School Showcase, 5:00-7:30-Handy Ballet Folklorico and Pep Squad perform
- February 17-Lincoln Holiday-No School
- February 20-Washington Holiday-No School
- February 21-Tier 2 After-school Reading Intervention Begins-3rd Grade
- February 23-School Site Council Meeting-2:45
- February 24-Spring Pictures
- February 27-March 3-Read Across America Week
Handy Elementary School
Location: 860 N. Handy St. Orange, California 92867
Phone: (714) 997-6183