Chatfield School News
February 8 - 21, 2021
From the Directors
At home, please focus on the following strategies with your child:
- Make sure your child is reading books or a novel 20 minutes a night or more!
- Practice math facts at home.
- Talk about reading and math in relation to basic home activities like cooking, telling time, using google, etc.
Parking Lot Procedures
1. For those that drop off or pick up on the north/east side of the building, please pull all the way forward to the middle school door steps when picking up and dropping off. This will allow more people to pick up and drop off at a time.
2. If you are dropping off your child and you need to get out of your car to help your child out, please do not stay in the drop off line, park your car in a spot and help your child out of the car. This will prevent the drop off line from backing up.
3. As a reminder, if you are walking up to where students or staff are waiting you MUST WEAR A MASK, even if you are remaining outside.
4. Please drive slowly and carefully in the parking lots. Safety must be everyone's first priority.
Valentine's Day Celebrations and Trolley Rides
Winter Break February 12-15
Under the McKinney-Vento Act a child is considered homeless and qualifies for certain legal rights if
- the family's home is not fixed, regular, and adequate,
- the family is doubled up due to loss of housing or economic hardship,
- the family must be housed in a hotel, motel, trailer, etc. due to lack of adequate alternative accommodations
- the family is living in a place that is not considered a home or a place that is unsafe
- a child is unaccompanied for whatever reason
We can and want to help. Please do not hesitate to reach out. The McKinney-Vento liason for Chatfield School is Bill Kraly 810538-1704.
FREE Hot Lunch Program
Late in November, while Chatfield School was in remote learning, our application for the USDA Free Lunch Program was approved by the state. This means that for the remainder of the school year all Chatfield Students can receive one lunch per school day free of charge regardless of income. This application is also retroactive to September 1, 2020 so all payments for school lunches made from September 1, 2020 thru November 20, 2020 will be credited back to the students lunch accounts. Again, this is part of the federal program to provide every student with a school lunch. If a student purchases a second lunch or makes a milk only purchase the rate of $3.10 (lunch) and .50 cents will apply. To take advantage of this program, your student needs to order their lunch in their homerooms prior to 9:00am.
If you have any questions please feel free to contact, Ami Davis, firstname.lastname@example.org
Weather-Related School Cancellations
It’s that time of year again when we must discuss weather-related school closings. As you know, the weather and roads can be an issue this time of year. Mr. Kraly and Mr. Young want you to know that they are always concerned about the safety of the students and parents.
We will be working with the superintendents from other local school districts and the Lapeer Intermediate School District to determine the conditions around the county. In the event of a closing we will utilize the following media outlets to inform you when school is canceled.
Radio: WWJ 950, WJR 760
Television: Fox 2, Local 4, ABC 7, WWJTV CBS, CW 50, ABC 12
Internet: Skylert School Messenger: Parents can adjust the contact preferences, E-mail, Text, Phone Call, by going into Skyward Family Access and clicking on the Skylert tab.
The decision to close the school is an independent decision and Chatfield School may be different from other neighboring school districts.
We will always try to make a decision on school cancellation by 6:00am whenever possible.
We will provide updates regarding the status of evening activities by posting them to the school website.
Road conditions can change at a moment’s notice so please drive safely and if you feel you must keep your child home because of road conditions please inform us. Safety is always our first priority.
1/29/2021 Report Cards Issued
2/11/2021 Winter Trolley Rides
2/12/2021 No School
2/15/2021 No School
2/26/2021 LEAF Deposit Day Kindergarten and First Grade
Please Read the Article Below about 10 Ways to Celebrate Black History Month at Home
Chatfield PIE needs Your Support
Enrollment Lottery Deadline Coming Up
If you know of someone that would like to enroll their child or children at Chatfield School please remind them that the enrollment form is due to the main office on or before April 5, 2021. That form is available at: https://www.chatfieldschool.org/AboutUs/Enrollment.aspx
We are currently hiring substitute teachers and substitute assistants. If you are interested in subbing at Chatfield, we could use you. Please contact Mr. Kraly at email@example.com.