The Weekly Wildcat
Richlands High School's Weekly Newsletter- Week of 5/8/2017
What's for lunch?
What's for lunch?
Here is some exciting news!!! Yearbooks will be here next week! If you have not ordered yours yet, there is still time. Go to jostensyearbooks.com or see Mrs. Roberts in room 111.
CONGRATULATIONS to this year’s RHS yearbook staff who have qualified for the Yearbook Program of Excellence award from Jostens! They achieved this award by meeting all their deadlines, increasing book sales, including at least 50% of the student population in the yearbook 3 or more times, and submitting entries for the Design Contest. These students have worked exceptionally hard!
Any student that knows they will be moving or transferring to another school for the 2017-2018 school year is asked to stop by Guidance and let Mr. Fields know.
It is requested that Parents come by the Guidance Department and sign withdrawal papers on any of the 4 exam days. All Laptops, charger and text books must be turned in before students departs for the summer.
A reminder for those taking AP exams today thru May 12th. Those registered for one or more exams should be preparing as much as possible for your exams. Lots of information is available at the RHS website to help you. Be sure to check with your teachers for study guides and help sessions. You need to know what day and time and where you are testing and report to your test site 30 minutes prior to your test time. You need to bring your ID and a snack for the break each day. Get a good night’s rest and eat a good breakfast. Remember, your scores are only available online. Please create your account at the College Board as soon as possible if you have not already done so.
Students taking the AP Statistics Exam; A OneNote Notebook has been created with exam review materials. Please check the notebook for a schedule of upcoming review sessions and study material. The review session for AP Statistics has been cancelled for today and tomorrow. Please try one of the practice exams before Thursday’s session.
AP students and parents...The AP USH exam that was scheduled for 8am 5/5/2017 will be rescheduled for Wednesday, May 17th at 8am
S2S will be opening up applications for the 2017/18 school year. Please see Ms. Moore in the library or Ms. Hartmann in room 1106 for an application. Applications are due back by Friday, May 19th followed by a mandatory club meeting on Wednesday, May 24th. S2S is looking to grow as a club so please come apply.
Who was the kindness students on campus? The students nominated the following: Steven Hewitt, Malik Matthews, and Chloe Wrenn for being some of the kindest students at RHS!
Skills USA Shined in Greensboro
Richlands High School SkillsUSA Chapter returned from the State Leadership and Skills Conference in Greensboro, NC on Friday. In the last three days over 2000 students competed in 124 different skills and leadership contests. Richlands High School had 49 students competing in 15 different contests. Out of the 49, 24 (49%) placed in their contest areas. Congratulations to the following students for placing in their respective categories:
- 1st Place – Aaron Lennon
- 2nd Place – Nick Reyer
- 5th Place – Chandler Futrell
Crime Scene Investigation
- 3rd Place – Kat Conrad, Emily Ketchum, and Sikia Kornegay
Health Occupation Professional Portfolio
- 1st Place – Taylin Batchelor
- 2nd Place – Hannah Blalock
- 1st Place – Kamryn Montogmery
- 1st Place – Atzirit Rubio
- 2nd Place – Alyssa Phelps
- 1st Place – Arlyn Garcia
- 2nd Place – Breyana Williams
- 3rd Place – Amber Bissette
Promotional Bulliten Board
- 5th Place – Avery Grice, Mason Thon, and Ragen Willaford-Menefee
- 3rd Place – Johnathan Bullock, Caylei Hunt, Mason Leake, Shane Monteforte, Marsel Tapio, and Christian Vanegas
Related Technical Math
- 4th Place – Jason Lassila
All of the first place winners will continue on and compete at the National SkillsUSA Conference in Louisville, Kentucky in June. In addition to the contest winners, RHS was recognized for being a Silver Chapter of Distinction. There was only one community college who placed higher than RHS with this recognition. We were also given an award for being in the top ten chapters in the state in membership. Caylei Hunt and Marsel Tapio were recognized as outstanding chapter members. Marsel Tapio received the Adam J. Thompson Award. This award is given to honor and recognize a SkillsUSA member who has gone above and beyond the call of duty to spread the message and missions of SkillsUSA in their school and community. It recognizes above average involvement in their local chapter and efforts to be highly involved at the regional and state levels. Caylei Hunt was also recognized for her year of service as a North Carolina SkillsUSA state officer.
There will be a senior meeting on Monday 5/8/2017 during 2nd period. All seniors are required to be present.
Senior Grad memo and picnic permission slip went out in Homeroom Thursday. Senior picnic is Friday May 26. Permission slips are due Thursday May 18.
-seniors who misses Homeroom should see me to get the forms.
-Jostens will be here May 8 to deliver graduation materials.
- Attention seniors – the WILDCAT PRIDE scholarship application information is available from Mrs. Jarman in the 200 hall. Your application is due back to her no later than Friday, May 12th. Please stop by and see her if you are interested.
- Attention seniors. The Career Development Coordinators are hosting a High School Senior Job Fair on Tuesday, May 9 from 9:00 – 11:30 am at the American Legion Building. You may check the bulletin board outside of Mr. Fuller’s door for more information and pick up an application. This is a chance for those that are staying in Onslow County to talk with employers about getting a job. Applications are due to Mr. Fuller by 11:00 this Friday, April 28th
- A representative from CCCC will be on campus on Tuesday, May 9th. Sign up in guidance if you would like to meet with the representative.
Teacher of the Month
Each month, STUDENTS ONLY will vote for the teacher of the month. They will input their name, the teacher's name, and why they should be voted teacher of the month. The teacher with the most votes wins.
Please Vote for the teacher of the month!
The Sound of Music at RHS
A huge thank you to Ms. Dransoff, Mr. S, and everyone involved with Musical. The students talent, leadership, and skills truly shined!
- The color guard is selling pancake breakfast plates for the morning of June 3rd. Tickets are $7 and can be purchased from any color guard member or Mrs. Roberts in room 111.
- Anyone interested in playing football that was not on the team last year needs to see Coach Rowntree in room 1104 before spring football practice.
- Elliott Enslen and Greg Lagusis will be participating in the 3A East Golf Regional at Reedy Creek Golf and Country Club on Tuesday, May 2, 2017. They both qualified as individuals from our conference of 7 teams.