By Melissa Norcutt, Alyssa Charles
Early School Age
- Want to please adults, teachers, and peers.
- May show developmental regression.
- Enjoy playing more than learning.
- Misbehave to get attention even if the attention is bad.
Guidance and Discipline for early school-age children
3 types of behavior reinforcement:
- Positive- paying attention when children do what you want.
- Negative- paying attention to children when they misbehave.
- Extinction- paying no attention to misbehavior and attempts to be noticed.
Direct methods of guidance.
- Talking to children at eye level and use simple, positive directions.
- Encouraging child with positive feedback.
- Encouraging independence by providing accessible behavior.
- Providing appropriate adult supervision.
Tools to Guidance & Discipline children
- Time out
- Reinforcing behavior
Developing sef control
- What to do.
- How to behave appropriately.
- Feel safe.
- Be able to think for themselves.
- Such as spanking, hitting, yelling, or making fun of children.
- Can cause child to question and discount themselves, leads to discouragement.
Reasons children misbehave
- Angry feelings.
- Need for attention or love.