Grade 2 News
Newsletter #2: Sharing the Planet
UOI 6: Sharing the planet
Sharing the planet
An inquiry into rights and responsibilities in the struggle to share finite resources with other people and with other living things; communities and the relationships within and between them; access to equal opportunities; peace and conflict resolution.
Our actions towards the environment affect the survival of animals and plants
Lines of Inquiry
- Habitats in the Environment (Reflection)
- How animals become endangered (Causation)
- Everyday actions that help the environment (Responsibility)
What Have We Learned This Unit?
- Students have completed the unit on fractions, geometry and measurement of time. We will now go back to the modules to review from content throughout the year. Students will be working with number operations and reinforcing the skills needed for third grade.
- At the end of the year we will take a second grade mastery assessment to demonstrate readiness for third grade- these tests will also help us set summer goals to work on any area that we might need to practice in over the summer InshaAllah!
English Language Arts
In English Language Arts
- We are reading "Polar Bears after Bedtime" as our class read aloud this unit. Students are all reading chapter books in their small groups! Everyone is so excited to see so much growth in their reading levels!
- We are working on our individual reading assessments to help determine students reading levels so that they are updated to demonstrate current reading data for all students.
- Students will be working with long and short vowels and how to identify them in words. Students will learn why it is important to know the long and short vowels sounds in the English language as these skills will help them to become better readers- and increase their spelling and comprehension!
Science & Social Studies
- Students have planted their sunflower seedling in our school garden, we will be keeping track of their growth and harvesting their seeds for next year. We have completed experiments to see what happens when plants don't have the right environment and if they are not able to get their basic needs.
- Students Have seen most of the cycle of the meal worm and are now waiting to see if we have any eggs that hatch before the end of the year. We have discussed keeping a Meal worm farm in order to feed the fifth and sixth grade pet (the bearded dragon). At the end of the year we are not able to release theses bugs into our environment because they are not safe to add to our balanced ecosystem here and might have a negative impact.
- Students will be working to reenact the pollinating of a plant and model how different insects are able to pollinate flowers and students will actually become pollinators in the next few weeks helping to spread pollen to different plants.
- In Social Studies students are exploring world problems, we are taking a close look at the political influence on the environment in our current events study. Students are exploring human impact on the environment and ways that we are failing to help the environment as well as how we can help the environment more.
End Of Year Just so you know.....
The end of the year is coming so:
- Students will be bringing home many of their long term projects and work such as their portfolios and notebooks. We will also be sending home the personal use supplies on the last week of school (pencil box, head phones etc)
- Students will be testing for MAPS over the last few weeks as well as completing their end of unit exams and end of year assessments so please be sure that if they are fasting they are getting a balanced suhoor in the mornings!
- Some of you have asked about bringing in treats or prizes for the end of the year and that is fine although I ask that you do not bring in anything with nuts. You can bring it on the last day of school as this will be the day that students will not have as many things to bring home and there is celebrations planned for that day.
- Final Report Cards are scheduled to be published the last week of school and will reflect the term three grades. All reports are published on managebac.
Here are some things to look forward to!
- July 11th, 2017- Tarbiyah Iftar
- Islamic Book Fair
- May 30th-June 23, 2017- (MAP Testing)
- June 23, 2017- Last Day of School for Students