5th Grade Newsletter
Science with Mr. Twa
Students are preparing for the STAAR Science test on May 11. We are in the process of finding our strengths and weaknesses and what needs to be done to fill in any gaps that have occurred in the last six years of science lessons. I will be sending home things to help your child prepare for their six grade science classes soon. So, be on the lookout.
Reading, Writing, & Social Studies with Mrs. Brittain & Mrs. Harris
In Social Studies, we will be starting our PBL (project based learning) about some of the most significant events that had happened in the 20th century. Students will be learning how to research and creating a technology piece that showcases what they have learned about the event that they have chosen. We will be displaying these projects at Night of No Limits in May! We can't wait to see what our students come up with!
What Can Parents Do to Help Their Child At Home In Reading?
- We have changed the way we are doing reading homework. Each week a reading passage and questions will be coming home. Please encourage your child to complete the homework.
- Texas Stride-Stride is a great way to practice the Texas 5th Grade standards. http://texas.stridelogin.com/
- Mr. Nussbaum-This is a great website that lets your child practice their reading skills in a fun way! http://mrnussbaum.com/
- News ELA-This website is a great place to find Nonfiction texts with high interest articles. You can sign up for a free account and gain access to hundreds of articles and comprehension questions. https://newsela.com/
- READ, READ, READ and READ some more. All students should be halfway through their Million Word Challenge. Reading will help your child gain background knowledge in a variety of subjects.
Math with Mrs. Hladky
This month we will be learning about creating frequency tables and representing the data with dot plots, scatterplots, and stem and leaf plots. Soon we will begin our unit on Financial Literacy where we will learn all about budgeting, types of taxes, gross and net income, and different types of payments. Continue to remind your student to practice those multiplication facts. We will be taking a quiz every week. Students have must make an 85 or better twice on each 2 minute quiz in order to move up to the next level.
What can parents do to help their child at home in math?
· Math weekly homework is always provided at the beginning of the week and due on Friday. I am always available in the morning to go over questions for the homework and homework hub is available in the cafeteria.
· Practice those multiplication facts at home. Your child has the opportunity to grab an extra multiplication quiz any time so they can quiz themselves. Parents you can help by using flash cards and having your child practice multiplication anytime and all the time!
· Stride: Have your child get on Stride and practice math at home: http://texas.stridelogin.com/
· Hands On Banking: We will be covering a unit on Financial Literacy in April. In the meantime, there is a great website that provides fun and educational learning for students about money, budgets, income, expenses. Go to http://handsonbanking.org/htdocs/en/k/ and check it out!
· Go to my class moodle webpage for Kahn academy videos and other extra activities that your child can work on to build up those math skills: http://moodle.nisdtx.org/course/view.php?id=11606
Million Word Challenge
April Dates to Remember
Book Fair Week-April 11-15th
- Come check out the Scholastic Book Fair in the Library all week!
PTA Carnival-April 15th from 5:30-8:30
- Come support our school PTA and have some fun while you are at it. Notes have gone home with details about the Carnival.
PTA Ice Cream Social & Ensemble Performance-April 26th
- Join us for some ice cream and a concert put on by the Ensemble Group at 6:00!
5th 6 Weeks Awards and Star Party-April 29, 2016
- Parents are welcome to attend the 3-5th Awards Ceremony at 7:50. Please encourage students to wear colors from their favorite college!
Keep in Mind
- May 9th-Math Retest
- May 10th-Reading Retest
- May 11th-Science STAAR
- May 20th-Field Day
- May 25th-MWC Field Trip to the Zoo
- May 26th-Night of No Limits