Advising Updates Week of 3/7/16
Happy Monday! Thanks for the thoughtful work and collaboration on your spring action plans - hence the Bravo. Great work all around. I'm eager to see how your work translates into stronger connections with students and to learn from some of the new strategies being applied. Here's your blast/info items for the week. Thanks for reviewing! L
- Reach out to your struggling students. Natalie sent each of you emails with folks flagged in more than two cases. Please get in touch ASAP, but at the latest by Friday, March 11th. I've also attached the full struggling list here so you can see any and all folks that were identified from your group.
- Thanks to all that have completed the Feb. report!! If you have yet to do so, please make sure your responses are in as soon as possible.
- <ongoing> Everyone: Watch the drop/refund calendar & advise as needed - we're entering the last two weeks of WD eligibility & 50% refund
- <ongoing> Advisors with Graduating Students: Please have all graduation approval forms returned to me by March 14th
- Advisors with Graduating students: Nominate advisees for the Student Excellence award (details below) by WEDNESDAY, March 9th COB
Student Excellence Award Nominations Needed
Please send me the names of as many folks as you'd like to recommend for this program-wide award by Wednesday. I need the student name and a one-two sentence rationale for why you think they would be a good recipient. We will then send the names to instructors to get their input and the program will determine the winner from there.
Students who are eligible:
• Must be in the last year of their academic program
• Must show academic excellence
• Collaboration with peers
• Leadership qualities
From the information gathered, we will select an overall winner and one winner per cohort. The overall winner is recognized at an SOE award ceremony and in the graduation program.
Thank you for your time and input to ensure our star students are being recognized.
- GETTING TAX QUESTIONS? Never offer tax advice, but if you get questions about the 1098T form, please share the following: Students can download a copy of their 1098T from online at www.1098T.com. They must create an account using their social and they will be able to download their 1098T for any year from any university they’ve attended. Please note, JHU only reports what the student was charged. We do not report payments.
- TRANSFORMATIONAL IMPACT DISTINCTION: There will be a call next week on Wednesday, March 16th for students that are trending on track to be eligible for the Transformational Impact Distinction award. Eligible students will receive an invitation to the call. If you have advisees that think they are on track, but don't receive the invitation have them email firstname.lastname@example.org. I will send you the invite as an FYI once I get it.
- AVAILABLE POSITIONS AT THRIVAL WORLD ACADEMY: Our colleague, Brent, works for a company called Rustic Pathways that is opening an exciting new school in Oakland. They are currently hiring for two main positions and have asked for help in spreading the word. The positions are:
Director of Engagement and Experiential Learning
Please share within your networks and with your advisees as you see fit.
- <repeat> NON-RESPONSIVE STUDENTS: As we're a full module into the new semester, we may start to encounter non-responsive student situations again. Please follow the process from the fall and reach out to me when it's time for "scary but supportive" email.
Instructors must send at least 2 contacts, on third contact loop in advisor
Advisors must send 1 email and make 1 call, then cc Liz on third correspondence
(feel free to make more attempts as you see fit - this is a guideline, not a rule)
Program Team sends scary but supportive email
- NEW MARKETING VIDEO: This doesn't apply to your day to day work, but we made a marketing video for the program and I'm thrilled to share it with you. NOTE: It's not pubic quite yet, so please don't share until I give you the okay. It highlights the incredible Davian Morgan, an advisee in Sara's cohort, and his wonderful students. I hope it's an inspiring reminder of why we do this work and of how grateful our students are for each of you! Link: https://vimeo.com/157646741 Password: JHU