Slate Hill Newsletter
September 18, 2022
Dear Slate Hill Families,
It has been another great week at the Slate! This week we practiced our rally point drill so that all students know where we meet in case of an emergency. Our week also included a fire drill practice with our Columbus Fire Department. They were impressed how quickly and quietly our students exited the building and were safe. We also had our Worthington Transportation department at Slate Hill doing bus safety with our Kindergarten through 3rd grade students.
This year we are adding reward parties as another new part to our PBIS (positive behavior interventions and supports) plan. We will have four of these this year with the last one being Star Fun Day. Each week your child's teacher reviews with your child how he or she did during the week following our Slate Hill Expectations of being respectful and responsible, being safe, taking care of ourselves, others and our property and being an active and engaged learner. The goal is for our students to meet these expectations or show growth in these areas to attend our reward parties. If a student is not meeting these expectations or showing growth with these expectations, he or she will miss the reward party and instead participate in a review lesson and activity. The goal is to help our Slate Hill Stars improve their behavior so that they are not missing out on their learning and class activities.
We feel this new addition will assist all of our Slate Hill stars in their growth as a learner and as a member of our school community.
Also a BIG Shout Out to Miss Seibert's class for receiving a grant from the Tanger Outlets for task boxes for her students! The students were so excited about this too!
Don't forget! It is START with HELLO Week this week and Mum pick up is this Wednesday, September 21st from 4-6pm in the back of the school.
The Adventure Awaits at the Slate!
Julie Gulley, Slate Hill Principal
PTA Corner - Mum Pick-up is Sept. 21st!
A big thanks to everyone who ordered Mumkins through the Foertmeyer & Sons PTA fundraiser! The Mumkins pick up will be Wednesday, September 21st from 4pm-6pm. All orders must be picked up during this time. Also, PTA needs help in organizing and distributing the mums after they arrive on Sept. 21st. Here is the Sign Up Genius if you are interested in helping! https://www.signupgenius.com/go/60B0449A4AF29A3F49-mumkin
Fall Fest is Friday, October 7th from 5pm-7pm. There will be food trucks, a hayride, inflatables, DJ, and a photo booth! We look forward to seeing you there!
Thank you to everyone who ate at Marco's Pizza on September 14th for the PTA restaurant night fundraiser!! Mrs. McCort's 3rd grade class won the pizza party from Marco's!
Joining Kroger Community Rewards is a great way to support the PTA! The program is free and does not take anything away from your Fuel Points or any other Kroger programs. To get started, click here! Our organization is Slate Hill PTA or use code IW349.
We hope you will join our PTA this year and support the great things they are doing for our Slate Hill Stars! You can join by completing the paper form that was sent home with your student(s), or by using this link. https://slatehillpta.memberhub.com/store
Start With Hello Week
Slate Hill Elementary will join other Worthington elementary schools with participation in "Start With Hello" week. Start With Hello is an initiative started by the Sandy Hook Promise Organization aimed at creating connection and community among students with a goal of ending social isolation. Throughout the week of September 19th, Start With Hello programming in our school will promote student leadership in decreasing social isolation and increasing empathy, working toward a culture of inclusion and connectedness in our school. Below is an overview of themes for each day.
Picture Day for Slate Hill!
Dear Slate Hill Elementary School Parents and Guardians,
Picture Day is Tuesday, September 27 at Slate Hill Elementary!
Save time and pre-order your photographs online. You can also download the flyer (below), print it out and return it to the school on Picture Day, enclosed in an envelope with your payment. You can also go to RipchoStudio.com to order your school pictures. Your online password is: 3521slate
*Online ordering and password expire 48 hours after the Photo Date.
Questions? Call the studio local at 216.631.0664 or or toll free at 800.686.7427 ext. 1
Just a Few Friendly Reminders:
Please review these important reminders:
- All visitors are required to sign in at the office when they enter. Please be sure to have your driver's license or photo ID with you.
- We are a NUT FREE school! Please be sure not to pack nut products in your child's lunch to keep all students safe.
- If your child is absent, please be sure to call the office or email our attendance secretary, Jessica Porter at email@example.com. Please included your child's name, reason for absence, classroom teacher and name of the parent.
- If you have a transportation change for your student on a particular day, please contact the Slate Hill Office (614-450-5000) by 2:15pm to inform us of the change.
- Please pull in the car line when picking up or dropping of your child at school and not park in the parking lot. This helps to keep the line moving if we have less parents walking through the parking lot.
Special Education Event on September 22nd!
On September 22, the district will hold Building Bridges, a back-to-school picnic and family fun night for our Worthington District Special Education community! Join us at the Possibility Playground at Sutter Park Preschool from 5pm-7:30pm and use this link to learn more.
- Meet other families, care givers, siblings & staff!
- Yoga with Mattie Ball!
- Outdoor Games!
- Taquitos Food Truck!
- Kona Ice!
- Bubbles & more!
The Slate Hill Book Fair will be here soon!
- Monday, October 17th from 8:00am - 4:00pm
- Tuesday, October 18th from 8:00am - 4:00pm
- Wednesday, October 19th from 8:00am - 8:00pm
- Thursday, October 20th from 8:00am - 4:00pm
- Monday, October 24th from 8:00am - 3:30pm
Every student will have a chance to visit the book fair and shop during library class, but they can also visit during recess and before or after school. In addition, families are welcome to visit during Parent Teacher Conference week!
If you want to sign up to volunteer while your student’s class is visiting at the fair, or before/after school, visit https://tinyurl.com/46mmevks . Thank you!!
100 Mile Club has begun!
Some students are naturally outgoing whereas others are naturally shy. This world needs to have both types of students. Sometimes, the world forgets that and looks at shyness as a deficit. Below are 5 ways that you can help your child with their shyness.
Stefanee Loges, MA
Licensed Professional School Counselor
Slate Hill Elementary School
A Note From the Health Office
As a reminder, if your child has any of the following symptoms, we strongly suggest that you keep them home from school and contact their pediatrician for additional guidance:
Temperature 100.4 degrees Fahrenheit or higher when taken by mouth
New or worsened cough
New onset severe headache
Shortness of breath
Loss of taste or smell
Vomiting or diarrhea
If your student has COVID-19 symptoms, you can pick up a test from your school's office.
Ready For Reading
Slate Hill Elementary is looking for volunteers to build reading skills with kindergarten students. Even if you only have 30 minutes a week, our kindergarten students would love to welcome you! Read below for more information and click HERE or on the flyer to register. Following registration, a program coordinator from our school will be in touch with more information.
Becoming a Volunteer in Worthington Schools!
1. Volunteer has lived in Ohio for the past 5 years - Must complete an online background check, click Volunteer Background Check (https://www.worthington.k12.oh.us/Page/3014) to access the form. When Approved, receive a Volunteer Badge in the mail from BIB/Secure Volunteer. (Form can also be found on our District Website under Quick Links - Volunteer Background Check)
2. Volunteer has not Lived in Ohio for the past 5 years - Must schedule an appointment with HR to get a background check. Click HERE (https://go.nemoqappointment.com/Booking/Booking/Index/WSDBC) to schedule an appointment.
1. Volunteer wants to chaperone an overnight trip OR supervise students without a teacher present - Schedule an appointment with HR to get a background check. Click HERE (https://go.nemoqappointment.com/Booking/Booking/Index/WSDBC) to schedule an appointment. Cost: $50
Care After School is Hiring!
We are reaching out to share a job opportunity within the Worthington School District. We are Care After School, a self-funded non-profit that provides after school care to children in the eleven Worthington elementary schools. We currently have Recreation Leader ($15/hour) openings to start as early as next week. Hours 2-6 pm, M-F and we operate when school is in session (End time can be flexible after 5 if needed). Your elementary school-age child(ren) may attend CAS at no charge.
Check us out at careafterschool.com and apply online at your convenience.
Call or email Kathy or Leslie with any questions.
Assistant Director/Hiring Manager Leslie Rubinoski, firstname.lastname@example.org, 614-431-2266 ext. 225.
Director Kathy Rayner, email@example.com, 614-431-2266 ext. 222.
Slate Hill Elementary School
Follow us on Instagram! @slatehillstars