TNIS Newsletter Wk 5, Term 2 2021
Te Kura Waenga Whakangungu O Takapuna
Week 5: 31/05 - 04/06 - Samoan Language Week
- 31/05 - Y7 Girls Football Zone Day
- 01/06 - Y8 Girls Football Zone Day
- 03/06 - HPV Vaccinations Y8
- 04/06 - SCHOOL CLOSED FOR TEACHER ONLY DAY
Week 6: 07/06 - 11/06
- 07/06 - SCHOOL CLOSED FOR QUEEN"S BIRTHDAY
- 09/06 - Boys Hockey Zone Day
- 10/06 - Girls Hockey Zone Day
- 10/06 - Arohanui Canterbury Mufti Day
Week 7: 14/05 - 18/06
- 17/06 - Netsafe Presentations for Learners
- 17/06 - Fono, 6:30pm - 7:30pm, School library
- 18/06 - Cross Country and Fun Run
Week 8: 21/06 - 25/06
- 21/06 - Table Tennis Zone Day
- 22/06 - Netsafe Parent Workshops, 6:30pm - 8pm, School Library
- 23/06 - Boys Rugby Zone Day
- 24/06 - School Social, 7pm - 9pm, School Hall
Week 9: 28/06 - 02/07
- 28/06 - WGHS speaking to Year 8 Girls
- 29/06 - NS Intermediate Schools Chess Competition
- 29/06 - CoL Pupuke Ako Concert, 6pm - 8pm, WBHS Auditorium
Week 10: 05/07 - 09/07 - Sports Camp Week
- 06/07 - Masterchef Final
- 07/07 - Mid Year Reports emailed to parents and caregivers
- 07/07 - Parent Info session on Resilience - John Meeske, 6:30pm - 7:30pm, School Hall
- 09/07 - Last day of Term 2
Term Dates 2021
Mon 2 February - Fri 16 April
Mon 3 May- Fri 9 July
Mon 26 July - Fri 1 October
Mon 18 October - Tues 14 December
Kia ora Parents and Whānau,
A huge thanks to the parents that attended our Asian families morning tea and our Hui - we had a fantastic turnout at both of these events. It is great to do the mahi with these groups and plan for the future.
We appreciate your support of The Resilience Project, Anti Bullying messages and Dear Em sessions that we have had over the last two weeks. We have definitely noticed the improvement in learner relationships in the school and the wider community.
Over the next few weeks, there will be opportunities for parents to attend some information sessions at the following FREE SESSIONS. We will also be offering this opportunity to our contributing schools:
- Thursday 3 June Helping your child become comfortable at school - Judith Locke
- Thursday 22 June Netsafe - Safety Online
- Wednesday 1 July Understanding and Building Resilience - John Meeske
Thanks again for your support of the staff professional learning this Friday.
Ngā mihi nui,
Action: Take action to be a self-managing machine!
Manamotuhake - Show respect for people in your extracurricular activities, clubs and groups by showing up on time, every time!
Māori/Pasifika/Kapa Learners Day
Last Wednesday we had our Māori/Pasifika/Kapa Learners Day. It was a fun, busy and exciting day. We shared our culture, took part in activities and connected with other learners.
Māori Learners took part in the first session. We had a great kōrero where we shared our pepeha, learnt about each others' iwi and marae and shared some ideas of things that we the learners would like to see in regards to promoting Māori at TNIS. We also played Tapuwae and made fried bread to enjoy together.
In the middle block we had our Kapa Haka session. With an 80+ strong group this year, it's a fantastic atmosphere but we haven't had much chance to get to know each other. It was great to connect through activities, waiata, poi rakau, tapuwae and ki o rahi games.
The Pasifika Learners had their session in the afternoon. We started out by building connections, sharing and talking about our culture. Learners also gave some great suggestions on how to promote more Pasifika culture at TNIS. The afternoon consisted of sasa, making pani popo (coconut buns) and playing a game called 'Haka Moa' where everyone's competitiveness came out!
Thanks to everyone who helped to make this such a successful day!
- Learners who have signed up for competitive Cross Country will go to Onepoto Domain on buses.
- The rest of the school will remain at school for a fun run, led by teachers.
- Competitive runners need to come to school in uniform and then get changed into P.E gear after morning tea.
- Competitive runners must bring water and running shoes. Asthmatics must bring their medication with them.
- Fun Runners are encouraged to bring house colours to get changed into. House colour costumes are welcome.
TNIS learners are encouraged to participate in a mufti day on Thursday next week to raise funds for the flood-ravaged Canterbury region. Gold coin donations please.
Photolife - Online Photo Orders
The FREE DELIVERY PERIOD expires at midnight on Sunday 27 June, 2021.
Year 7 Boostrix - Consent/Non-consent Forms
Learn to fight with a sword!
Exciting new after-school club!
- Get moving and stay fit.
- Develop confidence and self-discipline.
- Collaborative and competitive exercises.
- Safe sparring with specialised equipment.
- Learn a martial art with a rich history.
- The perfect way to get ‘gamer’ or ‘anime’ kids into a sport.
- All training equipment provided.
- Experienced teacher.
Fencing is a great way for kids to build confidence, improve coordination, and keep fit in a fun and engaging way. Classes run on Tuesdays and Thursdays from 4:00 to 5:00 in the TNIS school hall. They are taught by an instructor with over twenty years of experience practising and teaching martial arts.
Historical European Martial Arts (HEMA) draws upon the martial traditions of Europe as recorded by fencing masters in manuals from the fourteenth to the nineteenth century. It is an incredibly diverse discipline covering everything from wrestling to poleaxe. This video shows sparring with several of the weapon types that are popular in modern HEMA. The after school club will be focussed primarily on single sword systems used for sabre and side sword.
We will be using fencing masks and padded sword simulators, allowing safe sparring and competition. Sessions are very active with plenty of exercises to build coordination and fitness. All equipment is supplied, students just need to wear sports shoes and comfortable clothes or P.E. uniform. It is advisable to bring a water bottle and a snack.
Sessions are $20 each, paid up to the end of the current school term. Students can sign up for one or two lessons per week each term, with 2 free lessons if training twice per week.
Hello, I’m Mr Ford. I teach Science at Takapuna Normal Intermediate School, am a local dad, and have practised martial arts for most of my life. I am an instructor in Aotearoa’s largest and longest-running HEMA club and have spent several years on the club committee. I believe in creating a club culture that is welcoming and inclusive, where everyone has the opportunity for self-improvement. There is no prerequisite for fitness or skill, just a willingness to learn and respect for training partners. I am teaching HEMA as a contractor for after school opportunities, independent from TNIS.
Northern Mystics Game
SUNDAY 6 JUNE VS STARS
The Northern Mystics are up against the Robinhood Stars in the first match of the Barfoot & Thompson Northern Challenge on Sunday 6 June. Tickets include the curtain raiser match which sees the Northern Marvels take on the Comets in the National Netball League at 4pm.
Doors Open: 3pm
Marvels vs Comets Centre Pass: 4pm
Mystics vs Stars Centre Pass: 6pm
Tickets on sale now at:
Promo Code: MYSTSCHOOL21
Musical Instrument lessons available at school
Our School works with the Music Education Centre to offer parents the convenience of specialist instrumental lessons for their children here at school. If you would like to find out more about this opportunity, please contact the Music Education Centre directly on 0800 89 39 39.
Guitar Lessons starting Term 3 - Dave Gatman
Hi there! I have taught Guitar to kids in schools for over 15 years. I love working with kids and inspiring the next generation of musicians. I like to make my lessons as positive and fun as possible, teaching a range of songs from traditional folk/blues to the current pop and rock tunes.
I've played the guitar in a large variety of settings, and I'm currently in a covers band playing at weddings, bars and parties.
Lessons are in groups of up to 4 at a time, and cost $20.00 plus gst, for half an hour.
Individual lessons are offered if I feel like the student will benefit from them, and if I have space. These cost $35.00 plus GST per half hour.
Lessons are on Wednesday mornings at TNIS as well.
Feel free to contact me - email@example.com. Or text/call on 021 2221456.
BOOST PROGRAMME - Tania Dalton Foundation
FREE PROGRAMME FOR YEAR 7 & 8 GIRLS LIMITED SPACES.
3 Days, 9 Different Sports and Physical Activities
We really want those girls who may not play sport or exercise regularly but are keen to give it go! See the flyer below for more information.
Thursday 22nd April, Friday 23rd April and Friday 30th April: 9am – 2.30pm
PITA PIT LUNCH PROVIDED EVERYDAY
NORTHCOTE COLLEGE GYM
For application form : firstname.lastname@example.org
TNIS Way: Manamotuhake - Showing respect for others
Show respect for people in your extracurricular activities, clubs and groups by showing up on time, every time!