ECHS January Newsletter
Happy New Year Students and Parents,
I would like to take a moment to welcome our new Winter Cohort students and families to Early College and to PCC. We highly encourage our new and returning students to become active members of your campus while still keeping your roots at your home high school. The student life section of the PCC website https://www.pcc.edu/student-life/ is a great place start and to connect to the various clubs, sports and student opportunities at PCC. Over the last several years ECHS students have had leadership roles in every major club, organization, and student leadership group. We hope you consider all the opportunities PCC has to offer inside as well as outside of the classroom.
Again, Happy new year and as our saying goes, please contact your counselor if anything is less than wonderful.
College Planning Events and Resources
College Planning Information
- Oregon Transfer Days-Over 20 public and private colleges will visit the PCC campus for a college fair. It is a drop in event happening at all PCC campuses.
- Sylvania, January 27th, 10-1 in the CC Building
- Rock Creek, January 28th, 10-1 in Building 9, Event Center
- Winter Term Workshops- ECHS in partnership with PCC will offer workshops covering a variety of topics. Students are welcome to attend events on either campus and should sign up using the links below.
Resources and Scholarship Information
We have recently updated the college planning resources on our website and we encourage students and parents to check out the resources.
Of particular interest to our students is the annual Early College/Pacific University Scholarship that awards one full tuition scholarship to an Early College student each year. Please check out the link above for more information.
A Community Conversation about Race
Wednesday, Jan. 29th, 3:30-6pm
9625 Southwest 125th Avenue
This link is a "Break-Out Session Proposal Form" For those who would be interested in leading a break-out session. They are looking for students, affinity groups, parents, adults, community partners, city employees, THPRD staff, and others to host a session. They are hoping that the break-out sessions provide multiple different entry points into the conversation.
They will have a template and support system built for facilitators, with the ultimate goal being for youth and adults sitting side-by-side in learning sessions having a rich conversation about building our individual and collective racial literacy.
Class of 2020 Early College Graduation Ceremony
Senior Students and Parents... Mark Your Calendars
When:June 16th, 7:00pm
Where: Southridge High School
Cap and Gown Ordering Information: Please review the information below based on which graduation ceremony you plan on attending.
If you plan on participating in ECHS Graduation only
- Go to https://www.jostens.com
- Choose Early College High School PORTLAND
- Select Graduation Package or Browse ALL GRAD & Cap/Gown
- Scroll down to Cap & Gown and select “Browse All Cap and Gowns” Cap/Gowns/Tassels can be ordered individually.
- The Early College Robes are Black, if you would like to wear your home school colors instead, you will need to order that from: Jostens for BSD and HSD. And herffjones for TTSD using your high school, instead of Early College as the selected school.
If you plan on graduating with your home high school ceremony only
- Beaverton and Hillsboro School District students orders are placed through https://www.jostens.com
- Tigard Tualatin orders are placed through
- Select your high school
- Select Graduation Package or Browse ALL GRAD & Cap/Gown to purchase only cap/gown/tassel
- Cap & Gown pick-up will be at your home high school or sent in mail
If you are planning on participating in both the Early College and your home high school graduation events
- Follow the instructions for High School Graduation from above
- Cap & Gown orders will be pick-up at your high school
- You do not need to purchase two sets of robes for ECHS and home school graduation. Wear your home school robe to the ECHS ceremony.
As there are a great many moving parts to graduation and our students have the opportunity to participate in more than one graduation, (ECHS, Home School ), we have created a link with graduation information and FAQ's
Please check the link and let us know about any additional questions we can answer
We encourage all students to take the ACT or SAT test once their Junior year as it is required for 4 year college applications. BSD and HSD provide a free ACT test opportunity for our students and below is information on how to access the free ACT for each district.
Beaverton School District Students:
Home high schools will host a free ACT testing session on February 25th. Instructions for signing up for this test were sent to all 11th grade BSD students last week and students need to complete their initial sign up by Friday, January 17th. Students are responsible for making arrangements with their professors to miss class and stay current with their PCC classes.
Hillsboro School District Students
HSD provides students a voucher that you can use to sign up and take the test at a time that works with your schedule. We anticipate receiving these vouchers the week of February 3rd and will contact students when they arrive. Students have two weeks to pick up their vouchers.
Students that would like to test on their own should go to the links below for information on testing dates and pricing
Each new term that you are participating in an OSAA sport or event you are required to fill out an OSAA Eligibility Form. These forms are located on our website under Activities > athletics.
Direct link: https://resources.finalsite.net/images/v1576600695/beavertonk12orus/wxydk62fkakas0tvazbk/ECHSOSAALetter2019-2020.pdf
Parent/Guardian Career Mentors
A part of the CG 140: Career and Life Planning Curriculum we ask all students to conduct 3 separate informational interviews with professionals in a career field they are interested in pursuing.
If you are interested in being contacted by a current ECHS student to discuss your career please fill out this short survey. All parent/guardians must fill out the online BSD Volunteer Application to participate.
We very much appreciate your consideration.
Weather Related Delays and Closure Information
Just a couple reminders about possible weather related closures.
-PCC will announce any weather related closures or delays on local media and will post information on their website. They will also send flash alerts to any students who have signed up for that service. If you are interested you can sign up here: https://www.pcc.edu/about/announcements/closure-information.html
-Please remember that any campus closures or delays are determined by PCC, not your home high school or district.
-In the event of a delay or closure, please remember to check your PCC email for messages from your professors about missed assignments or make-up work expectations.