Summit Virtual Academy
Weekly Update - Week of September 19, 2022
2022/2023 School Year, Two Weeks In
Good afternoon, Blackhawks! We have made it through our first two weeks of the 2022/2023 school year. At this point, all courses should be active and you should begin to be in a routine. If at any time you are struggling with doing so or having difficulties with content, please be sure to reach out. Do not wait until last minute.
Tonight is the 4th annual First Responders' Football Game in honor of Deputy Eric Overall and all first responders. The game will begin at 7pm tonight at Blackhawk Stadium. I encourage you to attend and to consider athletics for those in secondary. Remember, all Summit Virtual Academy students in good standing are eligible to sports, clubs, and extracurriculars, and these are a great way to stay actively involved in the school.
Be sure to read below for additional details regarding testing, supports, upcoming events, etc.. Have a great weekend!
What To Expect As The Year Progresses
- Expect your student to work for roughly 45-60 minutes per day, per course
- By now, you should have been reached out to by a counselor regarding your course progress. These will happen once a week. It is extremely important that you respond to communication. Please note that the student needs to respond and be in communication, not just the parent(s).
- Your main point of contact for contact specific questions is your course instructor. If you need help doing so, don't hesitate to reach out to us at 248-627-1820.
NWEA - Secondary
Just like last year, all students are required to come into the building to complete NWEA testing. This year, we will test in the Fall, Winter, and Spring. Keep a look out for additional information. But here is what to expect:
- Middle school will test at BMS
- High School will test at the high school. Testing dates will be September 28th and 29th. This is for all ninth and tenth grade students. More details on times will come out next week.
EDPs - Elementary and Secondary
Conferences - Elementary and Secondary
Link for elementary overview: https://e.edmentum.com/eoa-getting-started-students-parents-caregivers/
Instructional Model overview for online learning (last page has links embedded to parent orientation presentations):
Brandon Library Teen Event
Upcoming Brandon School District Events
- First Responders/Never Quit Football game - Friday, September 16 at 7:00pm
- Homecoming Parade - Friday, September 30, 5:30pm, downtown Ortonville
- BHS Homecoming Football game vs Goodrich - Friday, September 30, 7:00pm
- BHS Homecoming Dance - Saturday, October 01, BHS Cafeteria
- Picture Retake Day - October 04, all day (High School students)