Third Grade Cardinal Chronicle
January 29, 2016
Ms. Grubbs's Class
Follow us on Twitter: @jamie_grubbs
Upcoming Dates to Remember
Feb 1-19th- Pennies for Patients
Feb 2nd- "2-2 Tuesday" - wear your tutus or your number 2's
Feb 3rd- Global Play Day- bring your games and toys (non electronic)
Feb 5th- 1/2 Day for Students
Feb 5th- Family STEAM Night
Feb 12th- Valentine's Day Party
Feb 15- No School
Feb 16- Flex Day
ISTEP applied skills- Beginning of March
IREAD- Mid March
ISTEP multiple choice- April
Pennies For Patients
Thorpe Creek Elementary students will be taking part in the Leukemia & Lymphoma Society’s (LLS) Pennies for Patients program from February 1-12. During this program, students will collect money to support LLS’s mission: to find cures and ensure access to treatments for blood cancer patients. Students will learn about service, leadership, philanthropy and how they can make a difference by changing patients’ lives. TCE has its own online giving page that students, parents and faculty can share with friends and family: http://events.lls.org/pages/in/ThorpeCreekElementarySchool
Thank you in advance for helping LLS to create a world without blood cancers!
For more information on the Pennies for Patients program, please visit http://www.studentseries.org/
Activities for the first week:
Feb. 1st - bring in pennies
Feb. 2nd –bring in nickels
Feb. 3rd– bring in dimes
Feb. 4th– bring in quarters
Feb. 5th – bring in dollars (each student who brings in a dollar will receive a paper penny to put their name on and it will be displayed in the school)
Activities for the second week:
Feb. 8th – bring in more spare change throughout the week
Next Week's Special Area Classes
- Monday- Day 1 PE
- Tuesday- Day 2 Music
- Wednesday- Day 3 - Art
- Thursday- Day 4 PE
- Friday- Day 0 - 1/2 Day
Here's What's Happening in Ms. Grubbs's Class
- We will begin learning about figurative language and look for it in our everyday reading.
- We will continue working on test taking skills...what good reader's do ALL the time.
- Students will continue to learn about strategies when reading independently.
- We will continue our daily 5 activities where we will read, write, and do word work.
- We will continue learning about fractions. We will learn how to identify fractions as part of a set, fractions on a number line, and discuss equivalent fractions.
- We will continue to look at parts of a whole and learn about numerators and denominators.
- We will continue with math workshop where the students practice math alone, with partners, and in groups while I get to know the students better as mathematicians.
- We will continue to solve real world problems using many different strategies that we have learned through exploration and through watching others.
- This week we will learn about using conjunctions (and, or, but, because, etc) in compound and complex sentences.
- We will also be doing some on demand writing- what do you do when someone gives you a topic to write about?
- We will continue to write about topics of our choice.
We will continue to learn about sound and light! Next week we will begin to do some activities to give us that hands-on connection with both sound and light.