Note from Mrs. Schaefer...
Hello Garfield Families,
It is hard to believe we are already into 2021 and the second half of our school year. The kids have figured out the groove of our days, and have become pros in the expectations and safety procedures during the school day - we are so proud of them.
Thank you to all our families following the drop-off and pick-up procedures. This makes pickup quick and safe for our children and staff.
You should have received your student's second nine-week progress report (grade card). If you have any questions, please do not hesitate to contact your child's teacher.
Valentine parties and treats: teachers will be in contact regarding any parties they may be having. Be sure to have any food items prepackaged. Please do not send cupcakes, as it is difficult to pass them out and stay sanitized. Again, teachers will have expectations coming home for the class parties.
Picture Day: February 3rd
Dates to Keep in Mind
- It is also Beach Day for our Chiefs Week. So please be aware when dressing them for the day.
Friday, February 12th: Teacher Professional Development - No School for Students
Monday, February 15th: No School - Presidents Day
Tuesday, March 9th and Wednesday, March 10th: Conferences
- teachers will be sending out information regarding setting up appointments
Friday, March 12th: No School
Sunday, March 14th: Daylight Savings Time (1 hour forward)
Monday, March 15th - Friday, March 19th: Spring Break
Thursday, April 1st: Teacher Work Day
Friday, April 2nd: No School
Closings Due to Weather
It is that time of year when the weather can sneak up on us in Kansas...
because of that, are several ways to check to see if USD 290 schools are closed for inclement weather.
- We have calls that go out to families that have their phone numbers in the Skyward Messaging (phone call, email, and text) system. You would have entered your number when enrolling your student. If you are not sure, please call the school and talk with either Donna or Tayler to see if your number is current.
- Postings will also be made to the District’s website, Facebook, and Twitter.
- KOFO and local television stations carry this information as well.
Please do not call the schools or Board of Education office main phone for closing information. The decision to cancel school is made as early as possible and sent as soon as the decision is made.
Parents are advised to make prior plans with their children in case such situations arise.
*Snow days are non-academic days for both onsite and remote students.
Reminders for our Remote Learners
- congrats on doing so well remotely - you have learned to navigate a tricky way of learning
- be sure to have your camera and audio on - so you are ready to respond to any questions your teacher may have for you
- attendance is determined by your child's completion of daily class participation and assignments
- please inform your teacher if your child is ill and not able to participate
- turn any technology that is not school-related off - remembering that we are in school and those distractions make learning difficult
- always double-check to see you have turned your assignments in